Logo

Help removing stuck impeller

"now that I've got the low

"now that I've got the lower unit off, I can't figure out how to get the impeller off of the drive shaft. it appears frozen to the shaft and I can't get the thing to budge without doing some damage.

is this normal? if not, what would cause this? is there any trick to getting this thing off?

thanks!"

"Ronnie,
Welcome to the world

"Ronnie,
Welcome to the world of a very piss pour design. The impeller is driven with a plastic cam which wedges itself into a very tight fit. I'm sure the experts on this sight may have a better way of removing the impeller but this works for me. Grab hold of the impeller with a large pair of channel locks collapsing the fingers into the base, in other words squeasing the impeller as tight as possible. Now with a suitable tool rotate the driveshaft in the opposite direction of normal rotation while holding the impeller from turning. You will feel it pop loose. You might as well figure on replacing the impeller."

"Thanks Allan. I chickened out

"Thanks Allan. I chickened out and took it to the repair shop where they just chiseled it off. I was afraid to do that, but will keep that in mind for next time..."

"Actually, chiseling it off fa

"Actually, chiseling it off fairly common. If you change the pump regularly, they usually don't get so set in place."

Back