Logo

Help on adhesive PLEASE

bmccune

Hello,

I have spent my entire morning 4 hours trying to find adhesive Evinrude calls for. Says In need OMC Adhesive M which I know has been discontinued and everyone says to use 3M-847, OK. Now that too is not available from ANYONE unless you are purchasing a case of it for $1300.00 and that is not going to happen. I have checked over 100 sites, called about 20 dealers and even contacted 3m. Their words "Due to Covid and limited essentials I cannot tell you when any will be available"...
That being said I have a lower end apart to reseal, replace water pump etc. Wanted to break it down to see what all I may need. Now I am stuck w/o being able to get the sealant everyone says to use. PLEASE HELP ME, has to be another alternative that will work for this otherwise I am Out of a Boat for who knows how long............

Thanks I hope...

Stop the confusion.------Just use Permatex aviation gasket sealer.------Works just as well or better than M or 847 !!P

Agreed, but that ole M adhesive was pretty damn good. I have used a high quality silicone gasket maker, sparingly....on very nice clean surfaces with good results as well. If your doing a 2 piece gearcase, dab a little bit under the bolt heads also.

How bout THIS, for an answer, my friend.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220208-190127~2.png
    Screenshot_20220208-190127~2.png
    174.9 KB · Views: 32
Racer, yes....YOU gave our mechanic a very good answer in post #2. We already know that many folks are not too appreciative for the time we spend here, out of our busy and waining years. Now where did I put that Hamm's?

Stop the confusion.------Just use Permatex aviation gasket sealer.------Works just as well or better than M or 847 !!P

Thanks that is all I wanted was an answer nothing more or less... So in short anywhere the book says to use M use Permatex Aviation. Thanks..........

The Permatex gasket glue can be removed with isopropyl alcohol, so when you take it apart again or need to clean it up, that's the best solvent. Stuff's messy and the brush in the cap is about useless. It has solids that sink to the bottom so I have to stir it every time I use it...like every 16 months or so. I have a can that I bought back in the 1990s which is still perfectly good to use.

I have moved into the 21st century and now use Right Stuff. Only problem is that once you uncap it, it's terminally ill. That is, it's all going to completely solidify it's just a matter of time. Don't use the canned version it is super wasteful.

Back