Logo

Help... Loosing power at full throttle

Fraser1988

Hey folks, begging your help!
Took my 1997 40hp Mercury engine out for the first time. Was delighted when it started no problem. Then went half throttle to warm her up for 10 minutes. Then went full throttle and she was running great for about 5 minutes. Then she started to loose power and chug a bit. I then went down to half throttle and she was good.
I then put it on full throttle and she sounded like she was up and down with power. After 5 minutes of that she then stayed at a constant speed for the rest of the journey (half hour). This constant speed at full throttle was no were near the speed it was when I first put it at full throttle.
Can anyone advise?? 😅

Welcome. What model is it? Probably fuel related.....if after a storage period....how long stored?

Cheers for replying!
It was laying idle for about 2 months.
To be honest if I prime it with the bulb it begins to leak a small bit of fuel in and collect in the engine. But as soon as she's running it doesn't leak.
Sounds like a disaster I know but quite new to it.
40hp 1997 electric start

Not supposed to leak. Tilt engine forward with access to the carb venturis. Squeeze the bulb with the engine stopped. If fuel comes out the venturi of the carb(s), put new kits in your carbs and clean them in the process. Sounds like you had some varnish come loose and clog up the jets. May be time for new fuel hoses, onboard fuel filter, new kit in fuel pump with it being a '97.

Back