Logo

Help identify this melted piece!!

Bfeils

I split the upper and lower half of my alpha one gen2 to replace the impeller and found this pice of melted plastic. I have no idea where it came from so I don't know what parts to order. The motor is a 2005 3.0.

acri4g.jpg

k00d1t.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like it is the piece where your water tube slides into. On the back of the impeller housing behind the drive drive shaft.
FJC6FvLXhSqf3XgZkkjkkHfI9cAAAA

Last edited:
Looks like it is the piece where your water tube slides into. On the back of the impeller housing behind the drive drive shaft.
FJC6FvLXhSqf3XgZkkjkkHfI9cAAAA

That may be. Does anyone know the part number? Also I just looked and the exhaust flappers are missing from this motor. I bought this boat non running and just finished rebuilding the motor and now I'm going through the outdrive and fixing problems. I'm a bit of a noob on this boat so thanks for your help.

-Brandon

As stated below, it could be the connector tube on top of the water pump outlet. Replace it and two O rings inside. Apparently that drive ran for some time w/o water and got very hot. So I'd look the whole thing over very close. The copper tube slips into two O rings in the bottom of the upper hsg. Make sure it is sealed. Also check your exhaust bellows and the exhaust riser boots.

As stated below, it could be the connector tube on top of the water pump outlet. Replace it and two O rings inside. Apparently that drive ran for some time w/o water and got very hot. So I'd look the whole thing over very close. The copper tube slips into two O rings in the bottom of the upper hsg. Make sure it is sealed. Also check your exhaust bellows and the exhaust riser boots.

So the orings go inside the coupler , correct? I can't for the life of me get the the coupler to fit over the metal impellar housing with the orings installed.

It feels like the coupler o ring grooves are not the right diameter. they're really difficult to get the orings to sit into and impossible to get it over the metal tube portion of the impellar housing.

:mad:

Check this site for the correct coupling assy; tube and O rings. If you have the correct parts it will force onto the pump outlet tube--with some lube. Some use grease, I use Permatex Aviation Gasket on the pump tube to keep the coupler from creeping up. Grease on the upper O ring and copper supply tube to assist reassembly.

Check this site for the correct coupling assy; tube and O rings. If you have the correct parts it will force onto the pump outlet tube--with some lube. Some use grease, I use Permatex Aviation Gasket on the pump tube to keep the coupler from creeping up. Grease on the upper O ring and copper supply tube to assist reassembly.

Yeah I ordered the other parts from this site but I ordered the coupler from Amazon because they're out of stock on this site and I want to get this thing finished. I guess I can recut the o-ring groove and make it work. Really aggravating

I had the same thing in my alpha drive. I over heated and had to do risers. When i split the drive everything was a melted mess. Good luck with it

I replaced the waterpump and impela in the drive and the 2 risers and exhaust manifolds only. What i found was that the risers were clogged and i overheated. The drive water pump melted due to the exhaust heat and not pumping water. The plastic pipe that goes on top of the pump melted to a ball. Make sure u check your risers and exhaust manifolds

I replaced the waterpump and impela in the drive and the 2 risers and exhaust manifolds only. What i found was that the risers were clogged and i overheated. The drive water pump melted due to the exhaust heat and not pumping water. The plastic pipe that goes on top of the pump melted to a ball. Make sure u check your risers and exhaust manifolds

Yeah, I milled my manifold to remove some pitting but the risers and everything else are in great shape. The boat only had 205 all fresh water hours and I think someone just ran it for a minute without the water hooked up.

That will do it. I had just put the new sei alpha drive on 2 weeks earlier. Had about 2 hours on it. Ran it for o ly a couple minutes before it overheated and melted it. Almost everything in the drive pump system is plastic.

Ran it for only a couple minutes before it overheated and melted it. Almost everything in the drive pump system is plastic.

without a water source it usually takes only about 30 seconds for a meltdown of the dry impeller

Back