Logo

Help! Honda 90hp Shift rod 'upper' removal

Richie Hancock

Hi. Richie writing from all the way down here in New Zealand. I have a 1999 Honda BF90and I am trying to fully remove the FRAME, MOUNTING *NH282MU* 50100-ZW1-030ZA to re-paint it as it's a bit rusty. To get this out I've dropped the leg and now trying to remove SHAFT, SHIFT (A) 24610-ZW1-901 which is the shift rod going up the swivel tube under the block, that mesh's with shift rod B. I cannot access the top of this rod at all to see how to release it and drop it out. I saw another post where a guy said you can use vice grips to hold the rod and tap it down with a hammer, this release's it somehow at the top? Is this correct? If so, will the rod go back in this way or is that just for pulling apart only? There is a circlip and washer that is accessible on this rod (just below where rod disappears up into the block) I have removed this, but it still does not allow the rod to drop. It is still held in place at the very top somehow. Can anyone shed some light please? In the first diagram below, number (4) is the shift rod upper. This diagram shows the top of the rod mechanism but does not show the rest of the rod heading for the lower leg. In the second diagram below, number (5) is the rusty component I'm trying to remove. Once the rod is out, I can un-bolt the mounts and pull the motor to get to the rusty frame mount. Thanks so much for any help received. Richie.

NjI0MDI-1ca67bc9.png

NjI1OTQ-79f984f8.png

Back