Logo

Help Finding Parts for my 1972 7.5 Mercury Thunderbolt Serial #3281871

So, I just acquired a project motor -- 7.5 HP Mercury Thunderbolt Serial #3281871 and cannot seem to find parts online.

All suppliers either start with 1973 or serial numbers higher than 5200000 -------- am I stuck with a motor I cannot get parts for?

Does anyone know if the 1973 7.5 HP Thunderbolt parts are interchangeable with my 1972.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

Parts are definitely posted on line for your motor.----Can be found right on this site with just a few clicks.-----It would help if you named the parts you are looking for !!---Pictures help too.

Last edited:
Here are pictures of my project motor -- I need the spark plug wires to the coils.

I look online here and motor serial numbers for the 7.5 HP Mercury start at 5000000 -- my motor serial number is 3281871.
When I input his serial number the message returns saying serial number not found.

Can you tell me which motor serial number is compatible?

Once again, my motor is 1972 7.5 HP Mercury Thunderbolt Serial #3281871.

Please see inserted pictures.

Thanks,
Mike

1972 7.5 HP Mercury Thunderbolt (2).JPG
attachment.php

Attachments

• 1972 7.5 HP Mercury Thunderbolt Spark Plug Wire.JPG
    1972 7.5 HP Mercury Thunderbolt Spark Plug Wire.JPG
    16.9 KB · Views: 2,349
???------This page ----you find ---engine diagrams----click on Mercury----then click on your serial # and it is all there for you.

[h=1]I do appreciate your help -- I followed your directions and received an error message telling me serial number not found ( i pasted it below)- what am I doing wrong?

Thanks again,
Mike

Serial Number Search[/h] Revise Search: Start over
YOU ARE HERE: 03281871

Serial Number 03281871 Not Found
  • Check that you entered the serial number (above) correctly.
  • Go back one page and find your diagrams by using the HP/Model/Serial Number option.

Click on mercury===then cick on 7.5-------then click on your serial # on the list.------------If this does not work than go to ----mercruiserparts.com -------and follow their instructions to find parts for your motor.

I do appreciate your help -- I followed your directions and received an error message telling me serial number not found ( i pasted it below)- what am I doing wrong?

Thanks again,
Mike

Serial Number Search

Revise Search: Start over
YOU ARE HERE: 03281871

Serial Number 03281871 Not Found
  • Check that you entered the serial number (above) correctly.
  • Go back one page and find your diagrams by using the HP/Model/Serial Number option.

OK - tried your suggestions and am really close now -- not my exact serial number though - I pasted it below.

Would you recommend using the closest range of serial numbers?

[h=1]Find Mercury Marine 7.5 HP Outboard Motor Parts by Serial Number Range[/h] Revise Search: Start Over > Different Engine Model
YOU ARE HERE: MERCURY > 7.5 HP

OK - tried your suggestions and am really close now -- not my exact serial number though - I pasted it below.

Would you recommend using the closest range of serial numbers?

Find Mercury Marine 7.5 HP Outboard Motor Parts by Serial Number Range

Revise Search: Start Over > Different Engine Model
YOU ARE HERE: MERCURY > 7.5 HP

That's one of those God Awful Phase maker nightmares. If it has spark (by some miracle) you might want to see if the Lower Unit is okay (and reseal it if not). But if there's no spark, and you're not in love with it, my recommendation is to find another motor.

Jeff (worked on 50 plus Mercs of that size)

Here are pictures of my project motor -- I need the spark plug wires to the coils.

I look online here and motor serial numbers for the 7.5 HP Mercury start at 5000000 -- my motor serial number is 3281871.
When I input his serial number the message returns saying serial number not found.

Can you tell me which motor serial number is compatible?

Once again, my motor is 1972 7.5 HP Mercury Thunderbolt Serial #3281871.

Please see inserted pictures.

Thanks,
Mike

View attachment 10649
attachment.php

here are some links for spark plug wires right here on this sight.
http://www.marineengine.com/newparts/part_details.php?pnum=SIE18-5228-1
http://www.marineengine.com/newparts/part_details.php?pnum=SIE18-5227-1

Back