Logo

Hello new to the site and new to outboards

catfishfinder

Hello Everyone I am from north dakota, New to the site and outboard motors.

I picked up a lund alum boat and a 40hp merc 402. I hooked the water muffs to the motor so it didnt run dry, new gas, a couple plugs ,pulled it a few times it fired up. I noticed right away no water coming out so I assume that the impeller is dried up , I didnt run it for long and the motor started to speed up on its own and the throttle controls do nothing . Every thing is hooked up so I am assuming that the motor has a air leak. It looked like there was oil running down where the cases splits from the top by the flywheel. so I figured crank seal out. I pulled the flywheel today and the seal is dry and clean. I sprayed penetrating oil on the seal and walked away for a half hour or so and it was all still there. Im starting to think that I will have to pull the engine and reseal the case halves. Is this a common problem, or am I just missing something simple. I really appreciate any help, the local shops here dont want to do anything but try sell me a new motor. Thanks all for helping out a rookie.

Unlikely the crankcase halves are leaking, but you need to change out that impeller. And while you're at it, take a close look at the driveshaft splines--I have a feeling they might be striped, which causes the motor to speed up (and not pump water).

Jeff

fastjeff I will pull the leg off and see what things look like there , I know when i put it in forward gear the prop locks solid one way but I can turn it the other it clicks when i turned it the other way, but I tried it before the engine fired, and didnt try reverse. The prob will spin when I pull the recoil unless I have it in neutral

kimcrwbr1 I pulled the water line off the fuel pump to clean out the spray line on the right hand side of the motor ,it had a spider web or something in it. I blew air threw the line and I could see and hear air at the water pickup. As for the control , it has a control box

Im guessing the motor is speeding up another 800 rpm or so. I never dared to let it warm up because I didnt see any water coming out I will let everyone know how it goes, I will take pics of what I find today im just on my way to work on it.

Well I got lower unit off water pump is toast, the plastic reverse cam is sloppy on the shaft, the drive shaft is nice no wear. I looked closer and I have a bunch of green coroded wires so I figured I would fix the pump and wires and try again

I suppose I am going to have trouble getting the linkage back in order , I put it in neutral and removed the lower and i watched the lock cam move when It slid off dang it

I figured I might as well put a new reverse lock cam in it there pretty reasonably priced considering I dont want to tear that apart again once I get the shifting thing figured out. I ordered the parts I needed a little while ago so hopefully I will see them in a few days so I can give it another try

One more question theres a small brass nipple that sticks out of the crankcase about a couple inches below the flywheel. There a small hose that looks like the same size that runs to the bottom of the engine. I assume that the hose has to hook to that?

It looks like I need to put a stator on my motor , I can see that one of the two big coils on it are melted through. I hope thats the cause of the bottom cylinder hit and miss sparking. I see that cdi makes a stator but my question on that the stator has two yellow wires that go on rectifier , does it matter which of the yellow goes where on the rectifier.

Back