Logo

Heat exchanger end caps how tight

bobct

Advanced Contributor
"I replaced both of my H/E end

"I replaced both of my H/E end caps and installed new gaskets.

Do the end caps seal right at the very outside edge?

I'm asking because I have a slight gap all the way around on both ends. It might have been like this before but it had been leaking for a long time and was all gunked up.

I have the two rubbers washers inside the cover on both ends. I assume this keeps the center from collapsing and keeps the pressure around the outside edges.

thanks,
Bob"

"You can replace the covers if

"You can replace the covers if you need to ... The new ones I bought are made by SeaCamp and are significantly thicker than the originals. Maybe 3X? As I remember it, the center has a 1/8 " spacer on the center bolt that helps prevent colapse of the center by too much torque."

"Bob:

you may need new end

"Bob:

you may need new end caps. They don't get a lot of torque applied to them. That may have been the cause of your 'gaps'.

This is a good location for permatex#3, both sides of the gasket, the sealing washer/spacer, and the retaining bolt, too. mine get torqued to around 4ft-lb - i use 50 in-lb on my 'small' wrench - but they aren't original. I'd be surprised if the OEM value was significantly higher."

Back