Logo

Have a cooling problem with a 1991 force 50hp...

Forcebwitu

Hello! Just joined after reading all the posting rules, and searching for my question I now hoave two problems! LOL

1) Is there a member intro on this forum? I kinda think it would be polite..if not ok.

And my reason for joining..

My engine is in good shape, always been cared for by the O. owner..I just bought it about6 months ago. Runs great, and looks great.
My problem comes from the fact I have cooling problems. I replaced the impeller and housing. And also head gasket because she got so hot one day she split the oringinal one. But the other gasket on the head the outer one...I couldnt find a replacement for that cause the frigging thing can not be located. So I used some RTV so I could seal it up.

My problem is, when i am chugging along slwoly or at idle, she pumps toms of water. But as soon as I start her going down the lake on plane, or even above half throttle, she willstop pumping water and I see steam flying out of the exhaust with force! Almost looks like a friggin steam cleaning machine. I know the lines are clear, I know the impeller is brand new as is the housing...What in the heck could be causing this? Thanks!

I would go back to cooling basics....As for the head gaskets, you may have to buy the whole set for your motor...just as if you were going to rebuild the motor just to get that one gasket. Also have you inspected the thermostat? Could also be the tube from the water pump up to the head and the motor is colapsing. I have a 1990 120 Hp and had similar problem, it would pump water fine at 1/2 throttle or better, but it over heated when ideling, and it was the water pump. Did you replace the housing and the impellar or just the impellar? Maybe some other members can weigh in also.

uumm, yes...I did replace the impeller as well as the housing. Sorry i must have not been clear. Checked today and housing is still in good working order. But still when revved up I have no water at the outlet. Really messes with me bad when i cant figure it out. Any help would be great guys.

Is it overheating enough to set the alarm off?The water exits two places the prop area and the relief holes on the back.Steam comming from them is not a problem.The relief holes are for excess water pressure,That shows the pump is producing way more than's needed.(GOOD THING)
At speed the water is exiting the prop area/snout.J

Yes...water will come out. But when I start off the motor begins overheating.

talked with a local mech. and he said without a doubt its the exhaust gasket. Now...I know that involves removing the friggin power head and have already started doing so...BUT with all the bolts out, and a pry bar flexing the cowl...I just cant seem to get the frigging thing to come out! How in the world does one do this?

Is the lower unit off? You sure that ALL the bolts and nuts are loose.They hide them.If it reallis all unhooked than PRY HARDER!!!! Just pry on a part that isin't too important.J

Back