Logo

Has anyone done this before?

Snapper Fisho

Regular Contributor
Hi, I was spraying the cylinders on my V4 Johnson with Sta-Bil fogging oil which I have done numerous times before but on this occasion the spray tube on the end of the can nozzle blew off, straight into one of the cylinders. Tried to fish it out with a flexible grabbing tool but no go at all.
Has anyone had that happen to them before?
I know it's flimsy plastic as shown and should work itself into the exhaust port but am I overthinking it?
Sorry but I am annoyed at myself that it happened as I try to be careful. Thanks.

Attachments

• Spray tube.jpg
    Spray tube.jpg
    447.4 KB · Views: 1
Those little tubes have a very annoying tendency to fly off the nozzle. When using them, if there’s any depth to the cavity being sprayed, I use two hands, & hold the tube. Or else I place a zip tie around the tube, close to the can. If (when), it does fly off, the zip tie prevents it falling into the cylinder.
A Dr friend of mine did exactly as you describe, while winterizing his Mastercraft ski boat, (corvette engine).
We had access to some medical tools, & along with a small borescope fished it out.
The trick was to use a socket on the crankshaft, & turn the motor over til that piston was near BDC. That allowed more room to “see” where the tube was, along with more working room to get hold of it. You can buy a small endoscope for quite cheap, that simply attaches to your phone’s USB port, though we used a more advanced unit.
I don’t know the consequences of leaving it, I don’t think the plastic is strong enough to hold an exhaust valve partially open until the plastic melts.

Thanks Edchrist, some good advice there and I'm going to take such precautions in the future as it did fly off much to my surprise.
I have an Aerpro inspection camera and I turned the flywheel to BDC but I struggled to locate it even though it definitely flew in.
Frustrated, I rotated the flywheel a few times to distribute the fogging oil and just don't know where it got to on further inspection.
It is very flimsy plastic, so hoping it gets destroyed quickly and melts away.

Aerpro​

Thanks Racerone! Definitely going to do what you say.(y)
Your experience has reassured me and it's a two stroke motor with no valves (if that's an actual issue with 4 stroke motors as some have said when I did my own searching).
Cheers.

Back