Logo

Hard to shift into gear.

Norman Berg

I have a 96' Chapparal with a 5.7l and a Bravo 3 drive. I have replaced both cables with little improvement. There was some changes to clutches and shifting shafts I believe, not sure when this happened and what # drives the change affected . Drive has a OF number. What else could be haunting me with this problem?

Disconnect the drive end of the throttle/shifter cable and see if it is stiff...may be corroded inside.

When you say "both cables" Do you mean both cables from the control to the engine or both shift cables? There are two shift cables, one from the control to the engine and from the engine to the drive.

If you remove the short cable (one from shift bracket to outdrive) WITH THE ENGINE RUNNING try to shift in and out of gear, forward and reverse.

can you do it? If it is difficult then the shift linkage and clutch cone needs to be looked at.

If you are not aware you can not shift a bravo when not running, the upper must spinning to operate the cone clutch system correctly.

If no one has done any work on the upper in over 10 years then it will need some upgrades/superceded parts. there is no buying seperate parts it is a compete upper rebiuld and a new bearing and bearing driver is needed to set the bearing hieght.....

Did one a coupe years back.........

Back