Logo

Hard to move throttle & loose sloppy trunnions at engine, repaired/fixed!

Hi
Just wanted to share my cleaning of the control head’s throttle cable AND EASY repair of loose sloppy cable trunnions on my 1980 Evinrude 140 with Power Pilot control head.

STICKING HARD TO MOVE THROTTLE / CABLE REPAIR FIX:
I watched and used this method of using a compressor and 3/8” fuel line hose to force lubricants into the cable:
https://youtu.be/baQMAmxYKlc
i commented on the video:
I used this method yesterday on my 1982 Evinrude remote control cables.
Worked Great!
I first used wd40. I then tried some automatic transmission fluid(about 10 weight oil) went through ok.
Then I tried brake cleaner spray. This didn’t seem to loosen any remaining crud, a waste of time.
Then I did some more wd40 and then I tried some 90 weight differential oil for a final lube but found it TOO thick to drip through(even at 90 psi!).
So I had to blow through wd40 again and then as a final lube I did 30 weight synthetic engine oil.
The wd40 goes through easily but the engine oil is a drip dripping out the other end.
The manufacturer probably originally greased the cables but new grease would never push through the engine oil is the sweet spot I believe.
Be careful, the clamps can let loose under pressure if not very tight and could break glass window or something.
Use lots of rages for the oil mess and leaks. Be sure to remove the hose on the cable so you can slide the cable back and forth between treatments to loosen crud.
The gear shift cable was still like new in movement but the throttle cable was hard to move. After treatment it was 90% better.
I may replace the throttle cable in the years to come because there still is a stick to it(there may be a bend in it from forcing it over the years).
Now I have fixed the inconsistent idle problem was the sticking cable all along!
Boy is it smooth throttle action and now I won’t damage my remote control handle by forcing its movement anymore.

TRUNNIONS NUTS LOOSE REPAIR / FIX:
I also found I could repair/remove the loose movement slop of both cable’s worn black plastic TRUNNIONS where they sit in the engine attachment point.
The trunnions moved back and forth too much inside the aluminum holders.
I used super glue and baking soda, was very easy!
The baking soda reacts with the wet super glue forming a very very tough crystal material. Works great for the strongest repairing plastic as well btw.
Applying the super glue around the front and back worn away edges of the trunnions nut then sprinkling with baking soda. Then blow off the loose soda and repeat applying and sprinkling this.
So replacing the worn edges that are allowing the accessible movement.
It didn’t take much till the trunnions fit SNUG like NEW in their aluminum pockets! This has GREATLY improved my throttle idle setting and response and cable ability to open fully wide carbs throttle.
Love my old boat & Evinrude is a great sweet spot!

Take care

Back