Logo

Hard starting

aymee

I have a 1998 5.7GSI-DP, 280 hp, volvo-penta it always started as soon as you turn the key, this last year I have to crank it several times and then it starts like there is no problem. Once it started the rest of the day it starts as soon as you touch the key? The other problem that started at same time is I have slowly lost rpm, before the boat stumbles, I used to run 4800, now it has worked its way down to 3400, before it stumbles. I can cruise all day at 3000 rpm. I have replaced spark plugs, fuel filter, I am going to replace dist cap, rotor and spark plug wires. Does anyone know what the module on the bottom of the distributor controls. I feel if I could solve the starting problem everything would be fine. Thank You for any help. VOLVO SX eng.serial # t01307298/t00820314

you have a fuel problem. you need to perform a pressure test upon start attempt then again where you cant reach your desired RPM. note pressures and compare to specs. the module controls the ignition spark and injection, the engine will stall completely if module fails. cant hurt to tune up but if problem persists go after the fuel delivary and pressures.

Back