Logo

Hard Starting

I have a 15 hp Mercury that runs fine until you tilt it up for hauling. It then doesn't want to start when you lower it. I pulled the plugs and they were wet but had good fire on them. I pulled and cleaned the carb and didn't find any trash or blockages. Anyone have any ideas how to correct this ?

The float might need a slight adjustment.

It's possible that it (opening) a bit when you tilt and either leaking a bit of gas out of the carb throat which could be causing a minor flood when you tilt back down and try to start.

The little Merc's are kinda touchy about even just a little too much gas.

So I would adjust the float so that it closes a little sooner than it normally would (bend it down a touch so it "floats" with less gas in the bowl)...

Found out that you have to keep from tilting this motor and do not prime pump if it's already connected to fuel tank. Sensitive little bugger.

Just try disconnecting the fuel line and letting the fuel level run down a bit in the carb before you trailer the boat.

Regards, Andrew.

Thanks typhoon, Went yesterday and didn't raise motor or prime and it cranked on the third pull. On the first pull thereafter. Yeah ! Is there a way to tighten the steering?

Back