Logo

Hard starting

jerry101

Contributing Member
"i have a 1979 6hsp evinrude o

"i have a 1979 6hsp evinrude outboard motor that is hard starting,i have to pull it 7 or 8 times to get it to run,when i first try to start it the prop only spins once or twice around and stops,what could be the propblem,and how can i make it start on the 1st or 2nd pull, spark plugs are new,and carb has been rebuilt.thanks and have a nice day.................."

Those need some throttle open

Those need some throttle open to start- They didn't always need the choke to start. They did need good ignition and compression.

Don't under stand the "prop turning once or twice" You should be in neutral. Very limited turning of the prop in neutral.

Try looking under the flywheel at night when spinning. May see sparks flying round which would be bad wires or coils.

How long since you adjusted the points? Got a good water pump? All this stuff has an effect on how well it starts.

"finally got a chance to start

"finally got a chance to start this motor in the dark like you said ,didn't see any spark at all on the motor,still was hard starting,wouldn't start unless you give a little choke...what do i have to do to adjust the points,if that could be the problem...i bought this motor used so i don't know if there was work done on the points or not.............please advise"

"Plugs = Champion J4C or J6C,

"Plugs = Champion J4C or J6C, gap to .030. Compression = 80 psi or so and fairly even on both cylinders. Mixture = 50/1. With spark plugs removed, the spark should jump a 7/16" gap with a strong blue lightning like flame.... a real SNAP!

Points = As follows:

(Point Setting Of Magneto Models)
(J. Reeves)

Set the points as follows. Have the flywheel key aligned with the fiber rubber portion of the ignition points. Adjust the gap so that a .020 gauge will pass thru but a .022 will not. Should there be any question of the points being dirty (touching the contact with your finger would cause them to be dirty), clean them with a small brush and acetone or lacquer thinner.

NOTE: Should the operating cam have a small portion on it with the word "SET" imprinted, align this portion with the fiber rubbing portion instead of the flywheel key.

Thousands of parts in my remaining stock. Not able to list them all. Let me know what you need and I'll look it up for you. Visit my eBay store at:

http://stores.ebay.com/Evinrude-Johnson-Outboard-Parts-etc?refid=store

(Carburetor Adjustment - Single S/S Adjustable Needle Valve)
(J. Reeves)

Initial setting is: Slow speed = seat gently, then open 1-1/2 turns.

Start engine and set the rpms to where it just stays running. In segments of 1/8 turns, start to turn the S/S needle valve in. Wait a few seconds for the engine to respond. As you turn the valve in, the rpms will increase. Lower the rpms again to where the engine will just stay running.

Eventually you'll hit the point where the engine wants to die out or it will spit back (sounds like a mild backfire). At that point, back out the valve 1/4 turn. Within that 1/4 turn, you'll find the smoothest slow speed setting.

Note 1: As a final double check setting of the slow speed valve(s), if the engine has more than one carburetor, do not attempt to gradually adjust all of the valves/carburetors at the same time. Do one at a time until you hit the above response (die out or spit back), then go on to the next valve/carburetor. It may be necessary to back out "all" of the slow speed adjustable needle valves 1/8 turn before doing this final adjustment due to the fact that one of the valves might be initially set ever so slightly lean.

Note 2: If the engine should be a three (3) cylinder engine with three (3) carburetors, start the adjustment sequence with the center carburetor.

When you have finished the above adjustment, you will have no reason to move them again unless the carburetor fouls/gums up from sitting, in which case you would be required to remove, clean, and rebuild the carburetor anyway.

Thousands of parts in my remaining stock. Not able to list them all. Let me know what you need and I'll look it up for you. Visit my eBay store at:

http://stores.ebay.com/Evinrude-Johnson-Outboard-Parts-etc?refid=store

Starting procedure = Pump bulb up hard, pull choke lever out to set choke, apply a slight bit of throttle, pull cord to crank engine. Engine should start within three pulls."

Your motor has electronic igni

Your motor has electronic ignition so check the spark...it should jump 7/16 of an inch...next check the compression they were never very high.

Remember and outboard engine from cold will not flood without firing up then dieing from the choke being left on.

As Joe states on the bottom of his post that is the starting procedure and when the engine starts push the choke in

what about the points? what do

what about the points? what do i do to check the points ? what tools do i need ? and how do i do it? thanks

"Apparently I overlooked the y

"Apparently I overlooked the year (1979) of that 6hp model. It has no points, and the spark plugs should be QL77JC4 plugs, gapped at .040 or the alternative gap of .030 ."

"can anybody tell me what the

"can anybody tell me what the part # is for the carb kit to rebuild this carb ? the model # is 6905e and serial # is j0001151 and where i might find the same, the year is supossibly a 1979 .....thanks"

"Yes 6905 is a 1979 model, yes

"Yes 6905 is a 1979 model, yes it has Cd ignition

Carb parts diagram

Parts list

But also click on the "engine parts" icon at the top of this page and find Sierra or Mallory kits

My '84 model takes several pulls to start it. Full choke."

"thanks for the info, got an

"thanks for the info, got another question,can anybody here tell me the part # for the carb rebuild kit,i checked with joe reeves on e-bay and he doesn't have any,i checked with sierra and mallory,and sierra is out of stock and mallory doesn't have any,i've located a place on e-bay ,but they need a part # to verify their item before shipping.oh,could you possibly give me the part # for a new impeller also . thanks much."

"If you couldn't locate th

"If you couldn't locate them on this site, NAPA will no doubt have those items. All you need is the model number of the engine for them to look the parts up."

"i've got the carb kit nap

"i've got the carb kit napa,now i was looking at the carb-the book says remove the gas line from the car and remove both nuts from the carb...but the pull cord assembly is in the way of removing the one nut on the right side of the carb,do i remove the pull cord assembly ? and how do i do it ? it must be spring loaded i guess ? so what precauctions should i take ?thanks"

"i posted this last message an

"i posted this last message and don't know what happened but when i posted it a flag came up saying new,went back on later in the day and checked my message, and my message was pushed farther on down the line but no answer,what happened"

"do i remove the pull cord ass

"do i remove the pull cord assembly? if so, how do i do it ? what prcautions do i take? thanks"

"finally got the carb rebuilt

"finally got the carb rebuilt according to the seloc repair manuel, still won't start unless you add gas to carb,check gas line going to carb and theres gas coming out,( when i disconnected the gas line to the carb ,and pumped the primer bulb,,,,,,,,what could be the problem ????? any help would be appreciated.thanks and have a nice day.............."

"If the choke plate stays clos

"If the choke plate stays closed when you pull the cord, on the 3d pull fuel should pour out of the carb throat!
If not, jet is clogged or you have an air leak!"

"i noticed a little gas coming

"i noticed a little gas coming out of the fuel pump,could this be the problem? if so, what part number is it so i can order it from this website.
thanks and have a nice day............."

"rebuit carb and replaced fuel

"rebuit carb and replaced fuel pump,motor still takes four or five pulls to start,runs fine but when i shut it off and try to start again, it wont start unless i wait about a half hour or so,what could be the problem?"

Does your motor still have the

Does your motor still have the roll pin in the top of the driveshaft that holds tension on the spring for the mechanical seal (lower crankshaft seal)?? as it could be sucking air through this seal

Have you had the leg off to check the water pump?

"is this roll pin an internal,

"is this roll pin an internal, or external part? where is it located ? i don't know that much about outboards, and no, i didn't take the leg of to check the water pump,because its pumping a steady stream of water when running.........its just that when i shut the motor off,i pull and pull, but the motor doesn't start unless, i wait a while.............thanks"

Back