Logo

Hard starting and wonbt idle down 1979 6 hp

jerry101

Contributing Member
"i have a 1979 evinrude 6 hsp outboard ,the problem i'm having is its hard to start,have to pull start it too many times,and i can only cut it down to troll about 4 miles per hour ,if i try to go slower it stalls out,does anybody know what the problem could be ,( otherwise it runs excellant) and how to fix this........thanks and have a nice day"

"put a new set of plugs in it,

"put a new set of plugs in it,and turn slow spd needle 1/4 turn left and see if that helps."

i put a new set of plugs in an

i put a new set of plugs in and turned the idle screw the way you said but it still hard to start and still can't troll at 3 mph it will stall thanks

"Check the sparks and if spark

"Check the sparks and if spark is strong, take out the carb and clean it up, adjust the choke to be open a little more. It does me good all the time."

"If the carby is ok and sparks

"If the carby is ok and sparks good, you may have to remove the powerhead and look at the mechanical seal that is under block as it maybe damaged?"

Just some thoughts. Either one

Just some thoughts. Either one will give you problems.
1.Fuel pump weak at idle. Does it idle at all or does it stall out immediately when reducing to "slow"
2.Low speed idle not set correctly. I suspect possibly too lean if it is dying out quickly because motors will run longer on the rich side then with a lean adjustment.
3. Throttle cam adjustment. Should contact the roller just as throttle position indicator reaches "start" on the throttle grip.

"Check for compression and spa

"Check for compression and spark. If compression is "exactly" the same on both cylinders, suspect a blown head gasket at the center portion of the gasket.

If extremely low on compression on one cylinder, suspect a blown head gasket, blown piston, or a faulty fuel pump diaphram.

If compression and spark are as they should be, suspect a fouled carburetor. In which case, remove, clean, and rebuild it using a new carburetor kit.

Thousands of parts in my remaining stock. Not able to list them all. Let me know what you need and I'll look it up for you. Visit my eBay store at:

http://stores.ebay.com/Evinrude-Johnson-Outboard-Parts-etc?refid=store"

"forgot to give the basic ,its

"forgot to give the basic ,its a 1979 evinrude 6 hsp,model #6905e,serial # j0001151,thanks"

What we need is for you to tel

What we need is for you to tell us what the compression is.

Normally somewhere in the range of 70/90 psi.

"i checked the compression lik

"i checked the compression like you said and ,its 55 on the top cylinder,and 58 on the bottom cylinder.....do you think if i put sea foam in the cylinders and run it, it might clean out carbon,and if so how much do i put in? or do i need a ring job ? ............thanks"

"Check for compression and spa

"Check for compression and spark. If compression is "exactly" the same on both cylinders, suspect a blown head gasket at the center portion of the gasket."

"seafoam,absolutely will clean

"seafoam,absolutely will clean it up...u mix it,..according to the directions.....on the can...1 oz to 1 gal of fuel."

"Compression of 55/58 is prett

"Compression of 55/58 is pretty low but that also depends on how fast the engine is being turned over. Hint.... a rope around the flywheel will crank the engine over faster than that side mounted manual starter.

However, since a head gasket is fairly cheap, it might be a good idea to remove the head, clean up the sealing surfaces of the head and block, then install a new head gasket. You'll be able to closely inspect the pistons and cylinder walls at the same time.

Thousands of parts in my remaining stock. Not able to list them all. Let me know what you need and I'll look it up for you. Visit my eBay store at:

"after doing a lot of thinking

"after doing a lot of thinking i decided to do a re-build , after taking everything apart i noticed that one of the rings on one of the pistons was frozen somehow and scored the cylinder wall, i can't believe that this motor rana as good as it did in this condition,..so i'm going to order rings and pistons and re-build and see if this motor runs any different...."

Better check .. those oversize

Better check .. those oversize pistons might be hard to come by.. I would see about piston and ring prices first. you might be surprised on overall cost.

"i've got another question

"i've got another question for joe reeves, i've noticed on different websites that some people are changing the carbs on a 6 hsp motor and putting a 15 hsp carb on a calling it a 15 horse , is this at all possible? and if so, is it possible on this motor?"

"Gerald..... that carburetor s

"Gerald..... that carburetor switch pertains to the early 1974/75 (in that area) 9.9hp models whereas the only difference between the 9.9 and the 15hp was the carburetor.

This is not possible on any of the 6hp models.

"will pistons,rods and bearing

"will pistons,rods and bearings from 1974-1979 fit this 6 hsp motor model 6905e ser# jooo1151 thanks again"

"the motor i'm getting the

"the motor i'm getting these parts are of off a 9.9 evinrude they have them listed on ebay that they'll fit my motor,but i want to make sure before buying them . thanks"

question for joe reeves

i'm starting to put my 6 hp evinrude model 6905e,ser #j0001151,back together after deciding to do a rebuid,can you please tell me what kind of adhesive to use for the gaskets i'll be installing,and which ones get it, and which ones don't,,,,another question : how do i go about putting rings on the pistons.....( i'm putting in new pistons and rings ) when i took the old pistons out,one was scored bad, because one of the rings were frozen,i tried to take one of the rings off that wasn't frozen ,and broke it taking it off.. so i wanted to know how to do this without breaking them putting the new rings on the new pistons........thanks for all your help.........(i hope i can do this "cause i never rebuilt an engine before......)

Re: question for joe reeves

(Gasket Sealers)
(Usually available at any reliable automotive parts type store)
(J. Reeves)
Do Not use any type of sealer on outboard carburetor or intake manifold gaskets as this would cause blockage of various fuel/air passageways. Also, there are new type gaskets, including head gaskets, which are used through out the engines that are coated with a substance that gives a shinny appearance to them. These gaskets are coated with a self sealer and are to be installed as is.... no sealers! Older style head and fuel related gaskets that are not coated with this substance are to be simply coated with oil.... nothing else.

All other gaskets (hopefully I've not overlooked anything above) should be coated with Gasket Sealer (the type that comes in a can that has a small brush in its screw off cap). This also pertains to some water pump installations that use a gasket between the plate and the lower unit housing.

Marprox Sealer 1000 or OMC Adhesive or Boat Armor Sealer 1000 (same substance) should be used on any metal to metal or metal to plastic surface (such as impeller hsg to plate, and plate to lower unit surface) to eliminate air leaks. It should also be used on the Spaghetti tubing that is used on many powerhead crankcase halves, lower unit skegs, etc. I have found that this substance works quite well on various "O" Rings such as what are found on lower unit carrier and upper driveshaft bearing housings (Note that this substance is obviously not to be used on all "O" Rings). This substance also works quite well in sealing the surfaces between the lower unit and the exhaust housing to which it attaches, eliminating the unsightly water spray between the two after completing a water pump installation.

DO NOT use any sealer on the large "O" Rings that are used on the upper and lower crankcase heads (The housing/heads that slide over the top and bottom of the crankshaft). On those "O" Rings, use only a coating of grease.

The exception of surface to surface contacts pertains to the later model matching crankcase (block) halves (which does not incorporate spaghetti tubing) which call for "Gel-Seal", or any other surface that calls for Gel-Seal. This substance seals in the absense of air, and if called for, must be used. One other form of Gel Seal that can be substituted is "Loctite #518". Nothing else that I know of will do!
I advise against using silicone or permatex on a outboard engine. It simply will not function properly. The exception to this (as per OMC's recommendation), is to use the black Permatex (heavily) on the gasket 306242 which seperates the inner exhaust tube from the exhaust housing on the 1959 35hp and 1960 to 1970 40hp OMC outboards.

http://stores.ebay.com/Evinrude-Johnson-Outboard-Parts-etc?refid=store

Re: Hard starting and wont idle down

joe, you forgot to answer the question about the rings on the pistons,in the previous post ? also,is there a trick on putting bearings in place where they go ? thanks and have a nice day

Re: Hard starting and wonbt idle down

the question on piston rings is : is there a special tool for putting them in place on the piston ,or can i put them on by hand without breaking them ? ('cause for curiousity sake, i tried to take one off, and it broke in two pieces.) i don't want to brake any putting the new ones on...............

the other question is on the piston rod bearings : is there a trick to putting these on ?

and what kind of grease ? i know i have to oil the pistons and shaft,what kind of oil do i use ?

Back