Logo

Hard starting 85 problem solved...now about that green goo

ronward

Now that Detective JoeReeves has solved my starting issue, what's the general consensus on the green goo on my powerhead coming from the stator. Is it on it's way out? Seems like I read about someone re-epoxying theirs. Am I thinking right? If so, what would you use to do that?

Mine started leaking pretty bad not that long ago and now my stator is fried. granted, my goo was brown on two of the charge coils and purple on the other.

Excessive heat melts the epoxy resin. Heat could be coming from a variety of sources, but excessive heat tends to point to a shorted charge coil. Trying to squirt more epoxy on it isn't going to fix anything if there's a short. From what I could find so far (I'm currently researching this issue to head it off in the future as these are pretty expensive parts) there's a few different things that cause your stator to work harder than it should, leading to failure. Making sure that all contacts are clean under the flywheel is one, same with battery connections (Likely where my issue was).

So far, the best price I've found for a new stator for my 65ESL72 is about $173.

Back