Logo

Hard lessons learned from dirty diesel fuel

N

northerneyes

"I had some serious problems w

"I had some serious problems with my fuel and clogging filters. On one occasion, one of my engines just quit, the problem was getting so bad. I had tried different fuel additives recommended by the marina's, but none helped at all. In fact, some actually seemed to make the problem worse. Finally I decided to get my tanks cleaned.
I was educated by the guys( www.perfectfuel.ca )that cleaned my tanks on my 41 ft. Grand Banks.
I was changing filters at least every 30 hours, and no amount of tank treatment was helping. Finally I cut open one of my filters to see what was going on. There was a wax build-up on the filter element and a very distinct sludge on the bottom of the canister. I keep my boat at my residence on the St. Lawrence so I called Perfect Fuel. They came to the boat, took some fuel samples, showed me the crud in the tank, and proceeded to clean the tanks.
I won't get into the technical aspects (that can be found at their web site) but needless to say, it was a learning experience. They took enough crud out of my tanks to fill 20 filters. There were signs of water, sludge, and actual hard dirt in the tanks. They cleaned about 400 gallons of fuel. The job took all day, but in the end, my fuel went from a black mess to clean and clear. The filters no longer clog and we run to Quebec City and back without the engines giving a hint of black smoke or making a mess of the transom.
Moral of this story, maintain your fuel properly, forget about all the junk fuel additives out there and find a good one. I use Algae-X AFC 705 mixed at 5000 to 1. My diesels run much better now, my generator run's better, and my diesel consumption has decreased. Best thing is my wife no longer complains about the smell of diesel."

Back