Logo

Greetings and a Question

Kzoobob

Good Evening,

I'm new to this forum and looking forward to learning more from the crew.

I have a 2007 BF90. It's been pretty close to perfect. However, When I pulled the boat for this winter, the trim goes down but not up. There is no sound when I hit the trim button on the shifter or the motor. No clicking, nothing. Going down is fine. So I started looking to see what I can find. Three things.

One, there is a white plug that is not connected to anything below the black plastic box that has all the terminals and wires on the port side. The plug has three wires; a red, a white/black, and a yellow/black. I've looked hard and don't see anywhere that it plugs in. It has blades. I'm wondering if this is a plug for an option I don't have. If not, where it goes and if it can explain why my trim is acting up. Any ideas?

Second, the motor is now up with the help of my friends and the manual release valve. I notice that the port side Trim Ram is not extended at all while the starboard is fully extended. Is this normal for the motor when it is parked up?

Third, I'm looking hard to find the relay but have not found it yet. Any suggestions of where it is would be appreciated.

Many thanks in advance. Take good care.

The fact your "down" is working is positive proof the pump itself is fine.

My bet is a dirty/corroded connection, but if you hear nothing, not even a click, the trim relay is either bad or not getting the signal it needs to power up the pump from the wires/connectors leading to it. Where's that at? Follow the wires from the pump. They'll lead you right to it, or you could look at a parts diagram to get you in the right vicinity.

That unplugged connector is one you can put out of your mind. It's an extra.

Hi Kzoobob,

I don't know your outboard so this probably won't be your best answer.

It looks like the tilt relay is located toward the front of the engine. See item 14 in the link below.
Honda is fairly consistant about using the colors light green and light blue for trim/tilt wire insulation so you could loik for that too.

https://www.boats.net/catalog/honda...in-bbcj-1300001-to-bbcj-1399999/starter-cable

As far as the trim unit itself, again, I don't know these units at all. But, it looks as if there is one "power piston" and what I've seen referred to as two "guides" in a service manual. Although, in the link below they are called pistons....I don't know. Items 13 in the link below.
I take it that it's one of those that you see stuck.

Good luck.

https://www.boats.net/catalog/honda...-bbcj-1100001-to-bbcj-1199999/power-trim-tilt

I'll take that blue/green wire thing just one step further if it will make you sleep better knowing the pump/hydraulics are OK.

If you follow the larger wire up from the pump, they'll end at a connector (white I think). If you pull that connector apart, you'll see these 2 wires (blue and green).

If you have a small battery charger (6-8 amp?) you can power up those 2 wires with the charger leads. Hooked up one way, the pump does it's thing in one direction, and when the 2 leads are swapped, it will pump in the other direction. It really is a pretty simple set up....

As mentioned, if it runs one way or the other, there's a very good chance there's nothing wrong with the pump.

Thanks for you speedy and thorough responses everyone. I'll trace the wires and run some low current to the motor and see if I can get it to work both ways. If it does, either it's a faulty connection or the relay. Since neither switch works trimming up and both switches work trimming down, I suspect that the problem is further down in the circuit, at the relay of the pump. I'll let folks know the outcome so this can serve as a reference for others.

Back