Logo

Gray Marine 327 Fresh Water Cooling System

ge_turbine_boy

I have a Gray Marine 327 that

I have a Gray Marine 327 that will be used in salt water and am wondering if there is a fresh water cooling conversion kit available for this engine.

"I dont think you will find an

"I dont think you will find anything like that. I recommend winterizing with car anti-freeze by removing water intake hose, placing a hose and funnel in its place and pouring in anti-freeze until it comes out the exhaust. This at least stops the corrosion process while in storage."

You could get a universal kit

You could get a universal kit and make it work if you can fabricate. Saltwater will eat up exhaust manifolds in 3 to 5 years and engine in 10.

"Flush after every use.
Here

"Flush after every use.
Here is the "go to" for anything Gray Marine, if it was made they would have it in stock. They bought out Gray Marine and shipped all original parts/equipment to their facility.
Gray Marine Inc
310 North 6th Street
St. Charles, Il. 60174
PH (630) 485-5007
Fax (630) 584-9141

Another suggestion would be if you can obatain an old Mercruiser 470 I/O engine, one that was maybe froze up or cracked. Some of them came with a fresh water cooling system that worked well, used glycol based antifreeze that recirced the engine jacket and used seawater to cool the coolant. A few pipe fittings and field engineering would convert to a usable setup."

"Richard, Cal and James - Than

"Richard, Cal and James - Thanks for the input but in the past three months I did some research and found Vanness Engineering who has done FWCW sysytems on the 327. I recently purchased a system from them that included a pump, heat exchanger, pulley, belt, hoses and all custom brackets to fit the Gray 327. David Vanness had a 327 in his shop to use as a moch-up and everything fit perfect. I highly recommend Vanness Engineering for anything Gray Marine. www.vannessengineering.com"

Back