Logo

got spark got gas won't start

mistytazzvon

Just bought this boat and just joined these forums. I knew the boat did not run when i bought and also knew it had been sitting up for years but i got it cheap and needed a new project to add to my list of projects LOL. anyway.i have a 1988 sunbird corsair 185 with an OMC 3.0 cobra engine. Not sure about the outdrive but i think it is stock. I got it running by replacing the condenser, cap and rotor. thats all i replaced and i gapped the points. i tested the spark at each plug with a cheap light up tester that goes inline between the plug and the distributor and all were lighting it up. tested all cylinders with compression tester and i know #3 cylinder has an issue as it only reads 60 while all others read about 120. i also noticed fuel in the oil which the previous owner said he replaced the fuel pump but never changed oil so i changed the oil. I did get it running though rough but running. Had it running for about 3-4 minutes today on ears in the yard at about 1000 - 2000 rpm and decided to see if it would idle on it's own in true neutral (straight up and down). it died as expected but then it would not fire up again. Oil pressure was fine, temp gauge showed barely heated up. Plugs still show spark. still getting gas as the carb is wet every time i try to start it. It does turn over great but will not start. I am just lost as to what it could be if it has spark and gas and was already running on a bad cylinder. I would expect rough running but at least running. I checked the emergency kill cord but still has spark with or without the cord attached (not sure why that is). Any help is much appreciated as i would rather fix it myself as much as i can sin i already know i need a machine shop to bore the cylinders and possibly rework the head.

Thank you for any suggestions ahead of time.

got it running again (rough but running). Evidently it was a choke issue. holding the flapper open with a screw driver and she started repeatedly with no issues (well except the bad cylinder of course). I am relieved it's just the choke, next i have to tune the carb and choke after deciding if the piston and rings are bad or if it is a head issue.

Take it someplace that has a cylinder leak tester. That will tell you a lot about the cylinder with the low compression.

You can do a leakdown easy enough with a compressor and the compression test fitting. Put you finger in the #3 plug hole and turn the crank with a socket. When you feel compression stick a screwdriver in the spark plkug hole and slowly turn the crank until the piston is all the way up. Set the compressor for 30psi and put the compression test fitting in the plug hole and apply air pressure. Take a length of small fuel line and stick one end up to your ear and then listen with the other end. If the hissing comes out the carb the intake valve is leaking, if you hear it out the exhaust the exhaust valve is leaking if you hear hissing in the avlve cover or dip stick tube the rings are leaking. pull the hose off the water circ pump if you hear hissing in the cooling system the head gasket is leaking. No matter where it is leaking you will need to pull the head but a good leakdown gives you a better idea whats happening.

No matter what the test results are the head gotta come off anyway...just take it off so you can see if cylinders damaged..

Back