Logo

Got a big boat and new to all this, need help figuring out what this tank leading to engine is for

Olle5

Got a big boat and new to all this, need help figuring out what this tank leading to engine is for
Hello, hope you guys can help me because I can't find much information
I'm confused by this tank, you can fill it on top of the boat similar to how you'd fill fuel, the yellowing clear hose leads out to a small hole where I assume whatever fluid could go out, the big black hose says oil resistant on it, it leads to the engine, I checked inside the hose and there seemed to be water but it could have been rain water that leaked into the tank.

I don't see what the tank is for, there is a pump to bring in seawater in the bottom for cooling., so what purpose could this tank have? Contain oil? But I thought I'd fill that in the engine block. Hmm I dont know

Also does anyone know what engine model it is? The owner or people I bought the boat from have said "volvo d96" and "Volvo penta 175hp" but I can't really find one that looks exactly the same online yet.

Volvo penta
https://imgur.com/gallery/xc8HXmi

Thanks for any help would appreciate it, by the way fun sidenote, the place I bought it and where I'm staying is where the volvo penta engines originated

Looks like an expansion tank for coolant. Usually you have a pressure cap that keeps the coolant under 7-15psi. This appears to just be open to the engine. I would use something more that straight water. Antifreeze has water pump lubricant and anti rust included.
Looks like someone made a custom exhaust manifold out of stainless. The original probably rusted out decades ago. Injectors and injector pump can probably be rebuilt when needed. Coolant pump, and starter can be rebuilt. Engine parts will be tough. Volvo is a poor company for old engine parts. They'd rather sell a new engine.
Volvo made a MD96 and KMD96 (turbo) in the 1950s. They also made a twin - 2 D96 engines on one transmission. It is a heavy duty engine compared to Volvo engines made today. Good luck finding parts.

Last edited:
Thank you, yes seems like a coolant tank, your comment helped me find one that looks just like my engine, at least the top part, it's a YouTube video says tmd mb 96 1b

Damn I'm a bit worried about parts now, hopefully living in sweden helps, actually where I am now is the area where the Volvo penta thing originated.

Any advice now that I'm gonna try to start the engine? I'm in a hurry and have to get the boat in the water in a few days, once it's there I think I'll try to do some maintenance. The previous owner said it works and runs. Thanks

The fuel system is basically a closed system and should still be charged with fuel. I'd forgo changing fuel filters until after the engine has run. When you open the system, air needs to be bled out. Bleeding air is usually done at the top of the secondary filter and a bleed screw on the injector pump while operating a small lever on the fuel pump. Some people use a electric pump that makes it easier, I do.
It may just start. If not...
A diesel needs fuel, compression, and a cylinder air temp above the ignition temp of diesel (about 500°F). When an engine sits a long time the rings will contract and don't make as tight contact, so compression may be weak. Air's temp rises as it's compressed. When compressing the air, the temps go from room temp to ignition temp. The hotter the incoming air, the easier to start. A hair dryer blowing into the intake will work. Also warming the block with a block heater or pan heater usually is enough. Ring design makes them expand under the pressure of firing. Once run to operating temp, they'll regain a tighter seal. If you use ether - starting fluid, use it sparingly. It creates extremely high cylinder pressure and can crack the rings when over used. You don't want to crack the rings in an engine it's hard to find parts for.

Back