Logo

Good Trouble Shooting Help Needed (Wiring)

Derbytowonkid

Hello, I have a 1982 70hb Johnson Seahorse. The starter was not firing so I replaced it. During replacement I noticed the starter solenoid had a stripped lug so I decided to replace it as well. I hooked everything up exactly like the before configuration, only when I connected the battery cables the engine began trying to start right away with the key in the off position.

I unhooked everything again and reconnected everything, making sure connections were correct and the same thing happened.

I unhooked everything again and made sure all my connections weren't corroded. I also made sure that no wires were touching any hots or grounds together or the case.

The last time, the engine didn't fire without the key but when I attempted to start it using it, the engine turned over twice the and the ground wire in the wiring harness (control side) began smoking?

One thing I forgot to mention was that before changing the solenoid for a stripped lug, when the turned the key, it clicked and functioned properly. Where should I start?

Thanks,
Rick

Attachments

• 78-84_3-CYL_EL.jpg
    78-84_3-CYL_EL.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 14
Back