Logo

Gimbal Bearing Bad

airchairmen

I have a Alpha 1 outdrive that

I have a Alpha 1 outdrive that the upper gears went up in. Pulled the drive and saw some signs of water laying in the bellows. The gimbal bearing and ring was replaced the year prior. There did not seem to be any water back around the gimbal bearing. It still turns and does not seem to have any slop. How do you know if the bearing is bad? Where do I look for how the water was getting in this area? I did not see any sign of water in the gear oil when drained.
Thanks.

"What do you mean by a high bi

"What do you mean by a high bilge?
There is through hull exhaust on this boat which at times looks to be partially under water, is that a leak source?"

Examine the bellows that was i

Examine the bellows that was installed prev. yr. It may have a tiny slit or cut in it somewhere or the installer failed to seal it with enough adhesive.

Gimbal bearing would have been noisy if it was defective. Turn it with a clean hand. It should feel smooth like "water flowing on glass". If there is a rough spot on the race you will notice it. You can turn the bearing by hand while pumping grease into the zerk fitting and see if any rust colored grease oozes out. If it is slightly gray in color that is OK; just keep pumping and turning until it is clean. If any water droplets come out; I'd replace it.

"high bilge" meaning h

"high bilge" meaning high water. can enter the boot from the bottom hole. 1 hole you can see just above the bearing. the other is at 6`o clock

Back