Logo

Getting a bit of water into lower unitWhat would be the first place to look

M

MIKEPAUL

" I have a '73 Chrysler 30

" I have a '73 Chrysler 30hp which sat in dry storage from '78 until I got it out last Spring and rebuilt the stator,coils,points,condensors,etc and got it running.It runs like a top but I am getting a bit of water in low unit.I assume since it sat in dry storage that maybe a seal or gasket has shrunk up and deteriorated.Any suggestions?? I would appreciate any input as I would like to keep the old girl in service. "

"MikePaul.... As per Sparky&#3

"MikePaul.... As per Sparky's recommendation, I would add:

Drain the lower unit as air mixed with the remaining oil will bubble at the leak area better than if the unit were full, and use pressurized air from 7 to 12 pounds only. High air pressure might cause the faulty seal(s) to snap shut momentarily, defeating your test.

Joe
"

" MikePaul,

In tot

" MikePaul,

In total agreement with the first two - a quick test I do sometimes while changing gear lube: use your finger to block the vent hole, and pump a little lube in. You should be able to feel some pressure build and if there's a leak of substance, you'll hear it. As Joe said, an empty lower unit is the way to go - much easier to get air to leak and air makes more noise than lube.

Jon "

" have a chrysler 35 hp model

" have a chrysler 35 hp model 355ha serial 4772. i need to install a motor leg extention but i don't know which one to buy. kit k1001 or k1002, or other.

please reply
bob "

Back