Logo

Gettin a new to me boat General questions

ejbtech1

Regular Contributor
"I am aquiring a 15 foot tri-h

"I am aquiring a 15 foot tri-hull fishing boat with a 150 mercury outboard.
This boat(engine) hasn't seen water for 2+ years. So, I need to know the answers to some obvious questions.
1) What should I do about the carbs sitting for a few years?
2) What about the impeller, and where is it?
3) Gear lube?
4) Am I missing something?
Thanks in advance to all who post.......I have been a member for a while, and this will be another boat I am taking in as a project.
By the way, it's only rated for 80 horse, and has had this 150 horse on it for a few years.....The owner says he is scared of the power it makes. That's what I like to hear!!!!HaHaHa!!! I wanna test her before it gets cold."

"clean carbs before running en

"clean carbs before running engine and dispose of any old fuel in the tank. The water pump should be changed every 2 years and some change the housing every other waterpump change. Its located in the lower unit, accessed by removing the lower 5 nuts(1 under the trim tab) and lowering the lower to get to the pump. Change the gear oil by removing the lower plug on the lower unit, then open the vent plug. Check for signs of water(milky fluid). Fill lower unit from drain plug untill fluid runs out of vent plug. Re-install vent plug and then drain plug.
Before you hit the water perform a spark test and compression test. See this link, lower right

http://www.themarinedoctor.com/cgi-bin//YaBB.pl"

"Sounds like a nice boat there

"Sounds like a nice boat there is one other thing you may want to consider and that is the fact that your overpowering the boat. In many places it is illegal to run with more than the boat was rated for. Also if your ever in some sort of accident you could find yourself in a heap of legal trouble. Just food for thought!!!
Good luck!
happy.gif
"

Back