Logo

Generally, are Hondas good outboards?

Parttimer

I've never been around one or really known anyone who owns a Honda O/B. I'm looking at a ~2016 75hp. Are these carb or injected? Did they have both models? Anything to watch for? Common issues?
I see there's mention on the web about typical fuel issues and also mention of a crank thrust bearing. How common is the bearing issue? Is it only after high hours, mistreatment, poor oil...?

Thanks in advance!

I have a 2014 9.9hp I purchased used, once I got it running properly it has been a one pull start every time. This is my first Honda outboard and would not hesitate to buy another one. I owned a 1988 Accord for 22 years that rusted out on me that had no engine issues, my 2006 Honda ATV with 10000km is still going strong. Log splitter and water pump both powered by Honda engines, both are 20 years old and not a single issue with either. IMHO if you stay on top of maintenance they will run for a long time.

BF 75,80,90 and 100 are in my opinion the best of the Honda range for longevity. They have no thrust bearing issues, that applies to 115 and up but has also been solved on their later models. The only issue with the 75 is corrosion of the exhaust water jacket cover plate with inadequate flushing, not a big deal.The motor you are referring to is EFI and very reliable and trouble free if serviced at recommended intervals. Hope this answers you question.

Back