Logo

Gen 2 Alpha one is shifting correctly but sounds hard when shift is made from nuetral

cking928

i have a 96 alpha one and I just did the set up of the shifting cables and everything is shifting in and out of neutral and from forward to reverse fine and easy but when I shift out of neutral it just seems to me that the shift sounds very hard. my interrupter switch is working when I shift back to neutral do they all shift this hard or is that switch also suppose to interrupt when shifting into fwd and rev? any help on this issue and what a normal shift sounds like for this unit would be appreciated. this lower was completely professionally rebuilt last fall.

The Alpha drives all make a loud cruuunnnch sound going into gear only. interupter only works in the water with a load on the prop. Any other time it operates means a bad lower shift cable.

The Alpha drives all make a loud cruuunnnch sound going into gear only. interupter only works in the water with a load on the prop. Any other time it operates means a bad lower shift cable.

The interuptor is shutting the motor down when I go to nuetral in the water. But doesn't shut it off when I shift in fwd and reverse.

Idle is between 700-800

The interuptor is shutting the motor down when I go to nuetral in the water. But doesn't shut it off when I shift in fwd and reverse.

Lower your idle RPM and see if that helps!

The "clunk" while going into either FWD or REV is very typical of Dog Clutch gear engagement.

As said, the SA (shift assist) or SI (shift interrupt) is necessary for shifting from gear back into neutral due to the propeller's resistance in the water.
The SI/SA system causes the Engine RPM to momentarily stumble, allowing the Dog Clutch teeth to easily disengage.

Since there is NO propeller resistance prior to going into FWD or REV, it serves no purpose for a shift into gear.

Last edited:
perfect. thank you for the info. I will see if I can lower my idle rpm some. do any of yall know what the wot rpm should be on this motor im turning around 4100 at wot. engine sounds calm at this point doesn't sound like it is running out like it should.

thats not that bad for a 2 cylinder diesel and a bit too high for the 3208 Cat
but then again we dont know what motor your talking about.

Back