Logo

Gearcase "tailfin" - no oficial part number

RRConboy

I have taken a chunk out of the "fin" that hangs (attached) below the gearcase of a 1990 60 HP. I assume this is aluminum. Can I repair it by welding a piece to it? If this lower extension (which provides some prop protection) has a name I don't know what it is.

Here....
Amazon.com: Mercury/Mariner Outboard Skeg 40-70 Hp Straight Back WSM SK-2: Automotive

41mUGAk45WL._AC_SX425_.jpg

Can I repair it by welding a piece to it? If this lower extension (which provides some prop protection) has a name I don't know what it is.
Absolutely. When I lived in the NWT, we had tens of thousands of miles of waters that were poorly charted. Superb fishing, but hell on skegs.
you said, “chunk”. The fix depends on the size of chunk. If it’s a small piece off the bottom, any reputable shop that deals with aluminium alloys can weld a patch.
if you broke it near the gear casing, take it to a place that does this work on a continual basis. They will have the piece in stock, but more importantly, understand the process to do the welding without cooking the bearing seals in the gear case.

Back