Logo

gearcase/skeg

shawnfish

Regular Contributor
does anyone know if the skeg off a 78 johnson 25hp fit on an 80 johnson 25hp? the gearcases have different part numbers but i just need the skeg from the 78 to fit the 80...

The 2 part lower units are machined when assembled and thus are matched parts.-----They are not a seperate part.-----------But you may be lucky and get away with fitting / sealing one from another motor.

i do know the 79-80 parts match, and the skeg on the 78 looks identical to the one on my 80. i just hate to buy the 78 lower and get it here to find out it will not fit. the lower i found is just the shell for 80.00......

When the g/c is manufactured the skeg and the upper hsg are line bored at the factory for a matched set. Changing to a different skeg only may give you probs.

We had to explain this to owners some 40 years ago and I guess it is no different today.--------Most folks do not understand fine machinery.

i understand it perfectly well.....by line bored you mean they are machined to keep all the peices aligned properly correct?

Back