Logo

Gear oil leaking above gear case

R

Richard Clark

Just found this message board

Just found this message board. hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I have a 1994 mercury 15hp outboard. Just took it out of storage so that i could change the gear oil for the upcoming season. I noticed a little bit of gear oil dripping from a small (water intake I think) just above the top gear oil screw. I know the gear case is supposed to be sealed.Is there a gasket that would cause this or am I in for a major component replace?

" Could be just oil on the ins

" Could be just oil on the inside of the tower, that over time, has made its way down to begin to seap out of the lower portions of that tower above the actual lower unit. Also, if the motor was stored laying on its side, perhaps just a bit of oil made its way past the seals (which are probably designed more to keep water out than keep oil in).

I personally would fill the lower unit, and take her out for a spin. Maybe a good couple hours, and then change the oil in th LU ...... if its not a milky color ...... you could then just check it again a bit later. Cheaper to buy two bottles of oil than work a lu ..... and a whole lot faster and more fun too. "

" Thanks Johnboy, I spoke to t

" Thanks Johnboy, I spoke to the parts guy at the marina and he seemed to thinkj the same as you.
appreciate the input. I am going to go ahead and change the gear oil as usual and then change it again after a couple hours running. "

if it was stored improperly &

if it was stored improperly ( lying down hill the lube will run out the over flow vent and into the tower housing filler up and runner and check if it is discolored after a few days of use

Thanks Nick I am going try th

Thanks Nick I am going try that
This board is great!

Back