Logo

Gear Oil Leak at Weep Hole

glastroner

Just noticed gear oil (ide

Just noticed gear oil (identified by smell and color) coming from the weep hole above top refill screw. From what I read in the threads on the subject it is most likely from the seal under the water pump or the shift rod o-ring. I replaced the water pump a couple of years ago so I know how to get in here. Can I replace the suspect seals without removing the prop mechanics and do I need any special tools? Can I pull the shift rod out? Are the water pump seals easily reached? Basic instructions would be greatly appreciated before I get into this...Last thing I need is bunch of bearings rolling all over my floor.

"I just did the driveshaft sea

"I just did the driveshaft seals on both of my engines (1990 225's) On mine you remove the four bolts and square flange that the seals are mounted in, and carfully knock them out from the other side. I used a generic bearing/seal driver to install the new seals. They go back to back, check a diagram or note how the old ones were in there. They get sealant on the outer edges. Finally, on mine, the seals have a different part number (top and bottom)If yours do too, make sure you get them in the right order. The whole job was easier than replacing the waterpump."

George - that may be normal ex

George - that may be normal exhaust oil draining out of there .. it sounds normal from what you are describing.

"Thanks for the posts- Does t

"Thanks for the posts- Does the shift rod come out easily? Also, piperjak may be right. I am just going by the consistency and smell. Just did not seem like exhaust oil- it was yellow in color, thick and gear oil smell. The only thing that surprises me is the amount weeping out after a 2 minute driveway startup with no gear engagement. No oil evident after initial wipe down. I will drain the gear oil tonight to see what that looks like...."

I think you are ok.. if the ge

I think you are ok.. if the gear oil level is good - and fairly water free - I would not be concerned. I have 5 motors setting that have all been resealed and that weep hole seep is always there after I run them. I just wipe up the residue between sipping my coffee and admiring the mess in my garage.

Back