Logo

gear issue (continued)

Steveo123

Hi everyone;

I posted a little while back regarding an issue I am having with my 1994 Evinrude 150 Ocean Pro. The engine will stay in gear even after placing the lever in the neutral position. This is the case with both forward and reverse; when I pull back to the neutral position on the lever, the gear box stays engaged in the initial "crawl" position. Thus, if I'm pulling back from a forward position (for example, cruising at 20 MPH) to neutral, the propeller will still be slowly moving the boat forward, as if it were in the initial forward lever position, one click out of neutral. In order to maneuver the boat at slow speed (e.g. docking or trailering), I have to go from forward to reverse, then to neutral; this procedure will engage neutral, but it's not a precise operation, and it definitely makes docking a clumsy and stressful event.

Earlier advice from the Forum (thanks, Guys!) was to adjust the gear cable at the engine to ensure the lever there was operating properly (i.e. to make sure it was straight up and down when the hand lever at the helm is in neutral. I did this, and can affirm that the lever, and the related mechanism(s) appear to be operating properly.

Is there perhaps something wrong with the lower unit that I could attempt to diagnose? It is a replacement unit which came on the engine when I purchased it.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions, thoughts and/or advice. Oh, and sorry for the run-on post!

Thank you, racerone. Can you provide guidance (or point me to where guidance might be) on checking and setting the shift rod height properly?

Thanks in advance!

Hi racerone; thanks for your response. After a little searching, I found the procedure for measuring/adjusting the gear shift rod. I'll re-post when/if I have questions about, or issues with, the procedure. Again, thanks for the response!

Back