Logo

Gas out of exhaust

Johnm1981

I have a 1963 evinrude lark 3 40 hp bigtwin I have done alot of work to it bought not running and the famous fishing story ran when stored.well not true at all strip plug had to replace head. I put all new ignition,new head and all the gasket required purchased all part from marine engine rebuild carb good compression all new everything got water pump but haven't installed moved cylinoid to under cowling rewired off wiring diagram, had running for roughly 45 second rain great before I moved cylinoid then I rewired but now is now dumping fuel out the exhaust and will only fire over won't stay running i know everything is wired up right but just can figure it out I'm new to boating and trying to learn as much as I like can any help would be awesome

Last edited:
Welcome. I ran an exact motor up at camp for years and years. Bulletproof motors when in good hands. Solenoid wiring should not effect spark. Please remove both spark plugs and check to see that at cranking speed with spark gap tester you get a beautiful white/blue, "lightning like" spark to 3/8". If you don't have a spark gap tester, insert a number two Phillips screwdriver in each plug boot, one at a time, and hold it about 3/8 of an inch away from a head bolt so you can notice the spark jump from the screwdriver shank over to the head bolt. If it ran before you changed the solenoid position then you may have done something with the wiring or kill switch or "cutout switch", which is interrupting the spark......check out this thread from 2016 featuring our treasured tech, Joe Reeves.

http://www.marineengine.com/boat-fo...-johnson-electramatic-40hp-super-quiet-issues

PS: I'm not sure what happened to Kim but he was also a "helleva" tech. Guess the forum authorities dismissed him.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210218-131447.jpg
    Screenshot_20210218-131447.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Back