Logo

Gas or oil in water when trolling while fishing with 18 hp johnson

L

Luc

" Hy, I have an 18 hp johnson

" Hy, I have an 18 hp johnson 1958. I rebuilt the lower unit, change the 2 coils,2 points,and 2 condeser and rebuilt the carb. The engines runs perfectly at hy speed as well as at low speed while trolling. The only problem is that after trolling for a little while, i see what appears to be gas or oil around it in the water.

What i dont understand is that it runs very well, i checked the lower unit oil and no trace of water and the oil level was fine, the two spark plugs were fine,(light tan) so, what am i missing here.

I use Johnson 2 cycle outboard oil in the right mixtures (50:1). The only thing that i have been told by the dealer that sold me the oil is that since i was using castrol before that i might see thing coming out of the engine like if it was cleaning itself. Can this be what's appening?? Because there is something coming out of the engine and i am tring to stop that. "

" The older motors did not rec

" The older motors did not recirculate the oil , instead it drains overboard.Mid sixties motors cleaned up this oversight. "

" Luc, check to see if you hav

" Luc, check to see if you have a leak from the carburetor, fuel pump, fuel filter, etc. If you cannot find any leak allowing fuel to drip overboard I would not be too concerned. The only possible sources are the lower unit (which is apparently not the problem), unburned fuel, or exhaust. If it is not leaking fuel there probably not much you can do about it. You want to avoid an overly rich mixture at idle, too lean is even less desireable so be careful. If your plugs stay tan in color after trolling your mixture must be OK though. My old Johnson seems to do this a little especially after it is just put into the water after not having run for awhile. It tends to clear up after running awhile. Any two stroke motor running pre-mixed fuel can do this to some extent. "

I have a johnson seahoarse 10

I have a johnson seahoarse 10....Not sure what year. It has the double fuel line and metal tank ..Where should the water exit from on this engine........

Back