Logo

Gas in Oil, Running Rough

holmesSA

My 2001 MIE 350 MAG MPI is running rough and blowing lots of light brown/white (not blue) smoke... like uncombusted fuel. I have since replaced the fuel pressure regulator, one ECT sensor, and the Ignition sensor. I switched the MAP, IAC, and TP sensors with other engine. Also note, that the engine is not heating up. And there is a lot of gas in oil after running about 15 minutes... 3+ quarts. Has new coil, wires, cap, rotor and risers in October.

If it is not something mechanical... which I do not suspect as most of the plugs (dry carbon with gas... i think) were fouled ... then I think this may have something to do with the ICM being hot previously and possibly leading to a short or frying the ECM (MEFI3-ECM).

I think a computer and compressor check are in order... at least this is what service manual 24 states to do. However, the mechanic that is coming tomorrow to look thinks I need a new engine and that I should not put any more money into it. He think thinks the rings are bad... if so would this much gas be getting into the engine? I think the injectors are stuck open due to a short or bad sensor.

We are going to do a compression check and scan the ECM tomorrow. He does not have a leak down tester. Would this not be a good idea before throwing in the towel for a new engine?!?... which is out of this years budget!

In October the engine got saltwater in the 2&4 cylinder and in oil. I removed all the plugs and cranked to expel all the water, and had a compression check done. 2&4 were at 100. This is when the ICM fried. Got new elbows, added power tune and it ran fine for 6-8 hours before this started. I did not notice this problem at WOT. Noticed pulling into dock.

Maybe on the compression. I would recheck it now that it has ran a bit. If still low then yes time to think about engine work. If your wanting to know where the compression is going if it does show low again do a cylinder leakage test.

If you are 3 quarts over filled and the oil smells like gasoline you must have jnjectors flowing wide open all the time.There supposed to have a spray pattern (fine mist) not a garden hose flow

Put on a Rinda Scan Tool yesterday and it had numerous Codes... IAC, MAP, ECT, etc. Reset them... powered up engine and the tool started to spit out Japanese. Seriously. Turned off, and then re-hooked up scan tool and it had no codes. Mechanic was at a loss... (friend who mostly works on outboards). He said the sound coming from the engine was very bad and to switch the ECM with the other engine... I am worried about frying the good one. I have another friend coming over today to do a compression check.

I am thinking that there is a short that led to flooding which has washed off the oil and caused something mechanical.

I need to find a good mercruiser mechanic in the Tampa Bay area that can haul the boat and possible rebuild or replace the engine. It is on a pursuit 3000, with no hard top.

This is way over my head. I just want my boat fixed. Business has finally slowed up and I want to take advantage of the free time ASAP.

-Scott

Back