Logo

Gas in cylinders and oil

houseboater58

"This is my first post, howeve

"This is my first post, however I have been reading posts here for over a year and have learned alot. Now on to my problem. I have two 1977 M440's in my boat. Tried to start them, one fired right up but the other flooded and I never did get it to start yesterday, so I left it and went back today and it still would not start. I pulled the plugs and they were all soaked in gasoline, I then noticed gas trickling out of the two rear plug holes. I shut off the fuel and turned it over for a few seconds and it blew gas out of the two rear plug holes. It took about an hour of let it sit then crank a little to blow out the gas. Eventually I got the gas out, cleaned and reinstalled the plugs, turned the gas back on. Tried to fire but only sputtered a bit then nothing. I pulled the plugs and they were gas soaked again. I pulled the dipstick and found that the oil reeks of gas and the level appears to be higher. I do not think this is a simple case of flooding. I have heard that if you get gas in the oil and pump it through the engine it will destroy all the seals and ruin the engine. Please let me know what you all think I should do next. Sorry for the length of this post."

"No problem.

1. You need t

"No problem.

1. You need to rebuild the carb since it's flooding BIG time.

2. You need to change the oil before trying to start it.

3. You'll need a set of new plugs--along with cleaned old ones--to get it going. You may have to change out the flooded plugs for dry ones several times before you succeed.

Is it cold weather where you are? If so, you're gonna have a tough time getting it going.

Good luck,

Jeff"

"Yes it is cold here, I hope a

"Yes it is cold here, I hope all that cranking I did with the gas in the oil does not cause serious problems. I will drain the oil next weekend and pull the carb off. Thanks for the advice. Bob."

"Change the oil and the plugs,

"Change the oil and the plugs, put the good carb from the other engine on it to get it running and warm it up to get rid of all the gas then rebuild the bad carb. The carbs are very simple to work on, take it home or somewhere warm to rebuild it.

Dan"

Back