Logo

Galvanic Isolators or Isolation Transformer

"Was just reviewing my electri

"Was just reviewing my electrical schematic (AC) and see I should have a galvanic isolator wired in to the green that comes from the power inlet.

For some reason I have the schema for "generator" option not the "inverter" option that would be correct for my boat. I dont think the isolator would be different from one to the other.

The problem is I don't think the isolator is working. I see a .125 volt change from -850mV when not connected to dock AC to -725mV when connected.

Do these things "break"?

Thanks,
Scott"

"Scott:

What/where are you

"Scott:

What/where are you taking the measurements?

The galvanic isolator does go in the AC safety ground lead. The transformers go in the AC HOT and GROUNDED leads, if 120V; both AC HOT leads if 240V.

I would think the wiring wouldn't change based on the power option but I'd bet that the isolator was an option. If it wasn't 'ordered', I'd doubt it was installed.

I've heard of isolators going back but would label it as infrequent. I'd be inclined to check and see if it was actually installed."

"Mark is right. Are you sure

"Mark is right. Are you sure there is one installed? It would be installed between the shorepower connector and the ship's AC panel. The cheap ones simply go in-line on the green or "earth" wire.

The Charles ISO-Boost you referenced is much more involved (and much more expensive) and all wires connect to it. You can not overlook this guy, it is large and heavy. I have only ever seen them fail from direct lightening strikes and even that is rare.

These systems did not become popular on recreational boats until the early to mid nineties so older boats did not have them as standard equipment. Quicksilver had their own system which was popular with manufacturers due to the price. The isolator worked well but the indicator system linked to it was a POS and most owners disconnected them to get the alarm to shut off."

The 120v isolation transformer

The 120v isolation transformer goes in the hot and ground. You should have a 4 wire system that has the safety ground and neutral separate. They should only be connected at the main entrance panel. The transformer would go in the neutral and hot line on a 120v system. The transformer case should be grounded by the safety ground.

"Thanks Guys. I need to do a v

"Thanks Guys. I need to do a visual check to see if I have an isolator! I'm thinking Mark is correct... an option that was not selected by original owner. It appears that the best choice (if I need one) would be the new "fail safe" isolators that do not need indicator alarms or LED lights (ABYC).

I was just wondering why spend the $200+ for a transformer? What is the big benefit now that you can get a failsafe isolator that is ABYC approved without indicators?

http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-11212796&id=1353688"

"PS Mark, I have several spots

"PS Mark, I have several spots that I am measuring from. The numbers I am posting are all from bonding wires connected to my sea strainer though.

Too bad I'm getting numbers that are as much as 75mV different on other bonded metals. It looks like I have some spring work to perform and its a bit too cold now. I just want to make sure my metals are okay for the next two/three months.

I have to do the continuity tests. I'm probing thru hulls and shafts with the reference electrode in water now."

""I was just wondering why

""I was just wondering why spend the $200+ for a transformer? What is the big benefit now that you can get a failsafe isolator that is ABYC approved without indicators?"

The galvanic isolator only solves the zinc erosion problem. The transformer isolator solves more potential problems. 1) human safety; if the secondary neutral remains unbonded, then the 120 V AC in the boat becomes much safer in that accidental contact with either line conductor should be non-fatal. 2) some models have buck/boost windings that allow you to raise or lower the line voltage. 3) some AC line noise (common mode) will be near eliminated. 4) they offer some lightning immunity. 5) dockside reversal of line to neutral becomes a non-issue."

"pretty sure I used GROUNDED,

"pretty sure I used GROUNDED, vs ground, to refer to the 'neutral' wire on the AC side...hope nobody reading this gets confused. The GROUNDED wire is WHITE on a 120VAC circuit where GROUND is Green. Never have liked the terminology...

I disagree with DD's point #1 for the transformer - 120VAC is a very hazardous value to the human body.

I found my really old quicksilver isolator sales sheet. (this is before the vintage Rick referred to.) It's stated purpose is to block the flow of the galvanic currents thru the green lead (of the shore power connection) while maintaining the integrity of the safety connection. I know when current flows thru the AC's green lead, it buzzes almost as loud as a warning horn."

"Let me elaborate on my first

"Let me elaborate on my first point on safety:
In a typical wiring scenario (including all US homes, industry, and boats without an isolation transformer), if you grab the stripped back black wire conductor and stand in a pool of salt water, you may likely die. There are a couple of popular mitigations for this, one being active and that's called a GFCI; a ground fault circuit interrupter. Here you will will get a short duration shock, up until the internal relay opens. An even better way around the hazard is to use an isolation transformer, and leave the secondary floating (ungrounded). Now, you can grab the hot conductor, stand in salt water, and not be affected by a shock. This is because the transfomer removes the ground reference from the circuit, voila, there can be no ground current. You still have 120VAC across BOTH output terminals, but no current can flow from either terminal to ground. Isolation transformers are $$, and that's why homes do not use them. The Navy does, and this technique also allows a somewhat fault tolerant operation. If a single phase conductor should touch steel, no circuit overload will occur, and the loads continue to operate. In a battle damaged wireway supplying bilge power, that could be important. Also, wires running in a classed environment, such as a magazine can sustain a single short to ground without sparking. To make this long story longer, there is a detection setup installed at the power panel, which had consisted of a light bulb per phase, that indicated normal, ungrounded conductor status. When the tech sees the unbalance, they send a crew to find the fault. Meanwhile, the system continues to supply power, the electrical loads non the wiser!"

Scott:

60 lbs is reasonable

Scott:

60 lbs is reasonable for a 'small' transformer under 5KVA.

You never said clearly so I'll ask this: Are you measuring different items on your bonding system while using a reference elctrode?

DD:
The USN usually has three phase delta setups on the ship. The phases are not grounded for a variety of reasons.

Using an isolation transformer on a small boat (with domestic AC dockside power) with the secondary not grounded (floating neutral) violates the ABYC 'standard practices' and introduces a different set of risks. I wouldn't endorse the practice.

"I have followed this message

"I have followed this message board for some time and find the topics and advise most interesting. I have not posted a question unil now. I have twim 2004 Crusader 8.1 H.O. engines in my 33' Bertram. The port engine developed a considerable mis-fire last week while fishing for stripers. Limped back to port on the starboard engine. Checked the plugs and found 4 plugs saturated with gasoline, 4 plugs nornmal. Installed the starboard ECM on the port engine and changed plugs. Port engine still only running on 4 cylinders. Installed port ECM on Starboard engine, and it runs fine. I now suspect the coils on 4 cylinders have failed. The coils are Denso, not GM. It doesn't seem probable that 4 coils have failed at one time. Any suggestions as to next steps?

Also, I am having difficulty in finding the Denso coils. Any idea where these can be aftermarket purchased?"

Welcome to a great site for cr

Welcome to a great site for crusader info...
as well as off topic some times too...

You would be better to "START NEW DISCUSSION" for a new topic (look for a link on the main page).

Many folks might not read this thread because its galvanic related and you question is not.

Back