Logo

Function of Temperature switch on Evinrude 50 hp head cover?

JohnCD

I understand that the thermo-switch/sensor located on the exhaust manifold cover sends a signal to an overheating warning horn.

What is the function/purpose of the other "Temperature Switch", located on the cylinder-head cover?

Appreciate your help, thanks.

Thanks, 1972 Evinrude 50 hp (electric start); model 50272C

There are two temperature sensors on the head. One, located on the upper part of the exhaust manifold cover, is called the "thermo-switch sensor" in the parts catalog. My understanding, is this sends a signal to a warning buzzer, located in control box.

The other, located near the upper left side of the head-cover, above and to left of upper spark plug, is called a "Temperature Switch" in the parts catalog (a part no longer available here)....I can't figure out what this "Temperature Switch" does.

Thanks again.

Temperature switch sends a signal for the horn.-----Thermoswitch has to do with choke..----So when motor is cold and turn switch to " on " what happens at the choke solenoid ??/-----Many motors had the " thermo switch " function disabled.

Temperature switch sends a signal for the horn.-----Thermoswitch has to do with choke..----So when motor is cold and turn switch to " on " what happens at the choke solenoid ??/-----Many motors had the " thermo switch " function disabled.
Thanks for the info... much appreciated. I'm switching powerheads on a jet pump. One of the motors has it connected, the other not... wondering what I'm missing out on. Cold-start choke on mine activated with separate toggle switch...

Do you have any recommendations for a cylinder head temperature sending/gauge setup?

Thanks again

Back