Logo

Fuel Usage

galamb

Silver Medal Contributor
"Got a question passed along a

"Got a question passed along about "how much will/should my outboard burn".

There is not a "one size fit's all" answer to that question. There is so many variables that the answer will not be the same for identical boats with identical motors. But there is some "rules of thumb".

IF your boat is fitted with a motor whose horsepower is 80% of the maximum rating for your boat and the propeller pitch has been matched to the "normally loaded" rig (eg. Max rated for 125 horse - 125 x .8 = 100 horse), then at wide open throttle (WOT) you can use the formula HP x .1 to get the average gallons per hour it will burn.

(too much motor on a boat - more than the 80% rule will result in a little more speed, but at a disproportiate increase in the amount of fuel burned - likewise, to little horsepower, which is typical with the "stock" motor on many package deals, will result in poor performance with far more than average gas consumption for that model of motor - you can't push a 1400 pound boat with a 50 horse - not if it's a planing hull)....

So for the 100 horse - 100 x .1 = 10 gallons per hour (or 10% if you like).

Every motor has a sweet spot. This can be determined on a non-computerized ignition by determining when the motor reaches maximum timing advance but not full throttle. If you pull the hood off your motor and without the motor running, advance the throttle and observe the linkage going to the trigger/sensor. You will notice it stops moving before you have reached full throttle (approx 2/3's of full throttle).

On most motors that will be approx 1500 rpms below your WOT rpms.

On alot of Johnny's/Ev's that will be around the 4000-4200 rpm mark.

At max timing advance, but not max throttle, the motor only burns about 40% of the fuel it would consume at WOT. The speed that the boat is travelling at that point is considered it's "cruise speed".

So for the example 100 horse motor that burns 10 gph at WOT, it should only burn about 4 gph at cruise.

I do have a number of (floscan) tests for a wide range of motors and despite all the hype and advertising as to how efficient 4 strokes are, on water tests do not support the claims and actual data shows that a 90 horse 4 stroke at WOT burns about 9 gallons an hour, just the same as an old pollution spewing, carburated 90 horse 2 stroke.

I will have a dig through my computer files to see if I have some test charts specific to OMC/BRP engines and post them on this thread for those who are interested - most of my data is for Merc's/Yami's and Honda's.

A couple of other myth's -

A hydrofoil will NOT improve your overall gallons per hour if you run at any speed above the minimum speed required to get on plane.

Running a prop with more pitch than your motor can properly handle will NOT make it go faster and it WILL burn alot more gas."

"Graham, tks for all that inf

"Graham, tks for all that info, i found it not only intresting but very useful, i wished i would have known about that sweet spot when the price of fuel was 1.46 per litre. I have read many of your posts and would to know just half of what you have forgotten, in my part of the country your hard pressed to find somone that knows their stuff, let alone be honest enough to admit it.
THANKS for sharing your knowledge.
Mike"

"Yeah, thanks Graham, I never

"Yeah, thanks Graham, I never knew that stuff, I always thought the hydrofoil thing was true! Do hydrofoils have any advantage at all if not fuel economy?"

"thanks graham!

nick,

"thanks graham!

nick,
the only thing ive noticed the "stingray" hydrofoil does for my boat is not losing sight of the horizon due to bow rise...............other than that ive noticed when i fish the arkansas river below kerr dam it causes proposing at cruise speeds ........theres a lot of current there at times though. on the lake it does fine, but at wot its out of the water.

every rig rides, handles, and performs different. a good balanced boat shouldnt need one to plane.

i gave $50 for my hydrofoil and think it maybe a waste of money......but this summer with a tube or skier behind the boat im sure my opinion will change."

what speed should I see with a

what speed should I see with a 21 ft 1800 Lbs boat and a 200HP (at WOT) if everything is working fine? prop 14 1/2 x 19

"Thanks David, this is what I

"Thanks David, this is what I got:
Boat Speed Calculator
WeightTotal//shaftHorsepower//Constant Speed

2500 180 225 60

Man I wish my boat could go 60 MPH..."

"david i have a hydro foil ,i

"david i have a hydro foil ,i can notice a better handle in chop also can stay on plane at slower speeds,thats just my opinion.
also does anyone know why the one i have .
its not straight across it v's up, is that for
a specific reason.
thanks grahm l thats good info my 90 runs close to that."

"I've run foils (doelf

"I've run foils (doelfin's) off/on over the past few years.

Yes, they do get you on plane quicker and hold it there at lower speed which translates into "less drag" so better fuel economy if you want it to "just barely be on plane" compared to what you would normally have to burn. The only place I've found that useful is when running in no wake zones or canals with speed restrictions. The only real (test) that I did is with a floscan and under similar conditions with a 40 horse motor saw a savings of about 1/2 gal per hour in canals.

So not super great, but every drop of gas helps.

Also found that a "fin" will really help in cornering - you can really reef on the wheel and the stern won't (slide out) on you which may give the type of performance that skiers/wakeboards are looking for.

But all in all, once up on plane with the throttle advanced the foils don't really play a noticable role."

"Here's a couple examples

"Here's a couple examples of what I talked about above. (Sorry no OMC/BRP's at the moment).

The first table is tests of a 115 Optimax (DFI 2 stroke similar to the ETEC).

The test boat was a Ranger 1750 Reata, LOA 17'5", beam 7'10", dry weight 1650lbs - 2 persons on board, 28 gals of fuel, wind/water - calm

Note at 4000 rpm the total mpg actually rises slightly from lower rpms - this would be the cruise speed on this rig. (4.9 gph @ 5.66 mpg @ 27.8 mph)

248525.jpg

For comparison will throw in a 115 Honda 4 stroke (for all those who buy into the better fuel etc)

Test boat for the Honda was a Sylvan 1700 Adventurer, LOA 17'1", beam 7'7", dry weight 1220lbs - 2 persons on board, 6 gals of fuel - wind 5 mph, water calm.

So keep in mind this boat weighs in at about 400 less than the Ranger above and has about 120 pounds less in fuel.

You will notice on the Honda that it's cruise is attained at a much lower rpm (3000) where it only burns 3.4 gph @ 6.52 mpg at a speed of 21.9 mph

For the Honda to match the cruise speed of the DFI Merc (about 27 mph) it would have run at 3500 rpms burning 4.5 gph (comparible to the Merc burning 4.9 gph)

248526.jpg

If you have the luxury (note bucks) to install a floscan (or similar) with a larger outboard you can fine tune how you run your boat.

From the Merc chart above you would realize that running at 2500 rpms was not economical - either 2000 or 3000 rpms would be much more effient.

Ditto, from the chart of the Honda, you can see that it doesn't really have any "guts" until it hits 3000 rpm - at 2500 it's scratching to make 8 mph and then "boom" you are doing almost 22 mph @ 3000 - I guess 4 stroke outboard technology hasn't quite figured out the low torque band yet
"

"Here's some two stroke nu

"Here's some two stroke numbers from different rigs - underpowered usually results in crappy fuel economy.

1) 75 horse Merc on the back of a 175 Tracker (about 1700 pounds including passengers/fuel/junk)

248531.jpg

2) 70 horse Yami pushing a 176 Stratos but with only a total weight of 1300 pounds - note the significant increase in fuel economy when the motor is properly fitted to total displacement weight on similar sized boats.

248532.jpg
"

"What I didn't add in to t

"What I didn't add in to the second set of tests there is the note for all the guys who want "more horsepower" from their existing motors.

Take a close look at all 4 sets of tests posted. All the boats were in the mid 17 foot class and with the exception of the last one all have an approximate displacement (loaded) in the 1600-1700 pound range (plus the motor weight).

Notice that the rigs powered by the 115 horse motors (of whichever design you like) are getting top ends of 40-44 mph. Compare that to the 75 horse powered tracker which tops out at 41.8 mph (burning almost exactly the same amount of fuel as the 115 Opti)

Just goes to show you, and these are actual tests, that trying to squeeze 10 or 15 more horses out of your motor is going to result in practically "no noticable difference" in performance but will have the effect of making your wallet a whole lot lighter....

Upgrading a 75 horse motor to a 115 (approx a 50% increase in horsepower) results in a couple of mph AT BEST.

Unless you can SIGNIFICANTLY increase horsepower (more than double your current) you will not see much of a result....

So please, no more questions about putting a 50 horse carb on a 40 horse expecting some great improvement because "some guy" said it would work
"

"thanks graham!

now thats w

"thanks graham!

now thats what i call doin your homework!

have i seen these tests on one of your other posts or is this a new set?..........either way it is good reading.

by the way i get 54mph with my 115----fully loaded with everything including a 260lb fishing buddy.........dont know exactly what kind of fuel mileage cause i havent had the boat long enough to boast and i run a lot of variable speeds since its so cold outside.....im pretty proud of the performance considering i paid $400 for the whole rig---with some help from all the gurus on here i made out like a bandit.

now back in the summer when i went everywhere at wot i used a LOT of gas.......and that was the $4 a gal stuff
sad.gif
"

"Hey guys, what is thing you

"Hey guys, what is thing you are calling a hyrofoil, I have a 15.5 ft procraft bass boat, 125hp Johnson, Commercial drive, manual jack plate, and fins on lower end, is that what we are talking here? At wot 5000 rpm my max is approx 43-46 mph. She comes up on plane real good about her own length, but after reading all the response's to this post it sounds like i may have a problem. Any hints guys.
Mike"

"Hi David, these are new numbe

"Hi David, these are new numbers but I have posted similar charts before. I get them from a place called Boat Test.

Michael, fins, foils - all the same thing. Believe they are actually called a hydrofoil, but like many other items, a brand name (fins for the company product "Doelfin") has kinda taken hold.

To "me" your speed sounds excellent. Most hulls in the 15-18 foot length (in general - not looking to pick a fight here) are just not capable of going any faster than the mid 40's. That is simply a result of the design and can not be overcome no matter how many horses you hang off the back..."

"Graham 35 or 45 mph I am just

"Graham 35 or 45 mph I am just happy to be on the water, besides that, and I could be wrong, but hooking a smallmouth at 45mph is highly unlikely.
TKS your reponse.
Michael"

"Michael, I hear you. But ther

"Michael, I hear you. But there is always two types of boaters out there.

There are most who just want a decently performing rig, to get them back and forth to their fishing spot, or cruise them along, or pull that skier/tube/wakeboard etc and are satisfied with the 30/40 mph they can get at top end should they need it to hustle back to the dock when the weather gets nasty -

Then there are those that want to squeeze every last mph out of the boat and are willing to hang big gas sucking engines on the most finely developed hulls to reach (what I consider) suicidal speeds that would quickly turn their boat into a aircraft should they hit the wrong ripple on the water.

But hey, the rig will do 70 mph and who cares that it takes a 250 HO to reach that - burning 25 gallons per hour - back in the summer that meant it was burning a "mere" 100 bucks of gas per hour.

I remember reading a boat test review on Yami's 5.7L V8 350 horse outboard that went on about how efficient it was and that it only "sipped" 29 gallons per hour at cruise (on the particular rig it was on). And for about 25K you can have 350 horses all in "one" motor.

So why not hang two on the back of your 30 foot Center Console and get over 50 mph right - check out the test - at almost 68 gallons per hour it's a good thing gas is down to a more reasonable 2 bucks/gallon - compared to last summer's prices you can get out twice as much

248588.jpg
"

"now thats insane!.....way too

"now thats insane!.....way too expensive!

before i really got into boating when i would see a nice boat with a big motor i would think "man i bet that rig will haul some a** and give a comfortable ride to boot".

now that im a little more seasoned i think "man i would hate to feed that beast--nice or not"

my rig is far from pretty , but it gets me where i want to go.............fishing!......and this summer some tubing and skiing!

before i got my gps it just felt like i was moving on pretty fast---now that i have a speedometer (gps) the wife has a reason to say (yell) "SLOW DOWN"............of course it is a semi-trihull (has tri-hull only to about midway and then shaped like a v-bottom) so in a good chop (1.5-2' waves) her little 120lb butt comes out of the seat about 4-5" at wot ----thats when she really really yells at me to slow down."

ok guys i have to amend my res

ok guys i have to amend my response as to my max mph.

heres the deal:
i have a hand held gps.
my buddy runs/holds the gps.
i just got a mount for the gps.
i put it on and head to the lake a few hrs ago.
i only got 48.2mph by myself..........after my bud got in we got up to 45.3mph.
so i let off the throttle and hit it again.......after i watched and listened to it idle--suspecting a miss.
after the 2nd time i did this my bud said "what are you doing?"
i said "we arent runnin as fast as before"
he started laughing and said "i was just teasing you.........i added 10mph"
talk about bursting your bubble!!

so im not quite as fast as i thought........he got a good looooong laugh when i told him i posted we were going 54mph.......he is no longer allowed to play with my electronic toys.

we went to check our catfish jugs.........and i got let down 2 times-----no fish and not as fast.....thats ok though -- not bad for $400.

Back