Logo

Fuel tank

"i have a aluminum fuel tank i

"i have a aluminum fuel tank in my boat, and it seems to be oxidadating. the oxidation is getting into the fuel filter and plugging it up. i have cleaned out the tank but it is still coming out. i am glad the fuel filter is doing its job but i need to stop the tank from getting any worse. please help. what can i do to stop it."

"A quick search on google, I f

"A quick search on google, I found this...

Fuel tanks don't corrode because they get wet; they corrode because at some point something is in contact with the tank that traps water between it and the tank. Like the original foam that it was installed with. Aluminum is self-protecting, so long as the surface gets adequate air exposure. Severe corrosion is always caused by water plus a lack of oxygen. Metallurgically, this is known as "crevice corrosion," and the key is to eliminate all the points (crevices) that trap water. As long as the aluminum has a good air flow around all surfaces, contact with water will not damage it.

You may also want to read...
http://www.brokeboats.com/badtanks.html"

"i didnt know that my tank was

"i didnt know that my tank was supposed to be grounded. i dont even know if it is grounded. i will check tonight and see, and just run a ground wire to my battery. i hope this will stop it. the problem is the oxidation is on the inside so you cant tell if it is gone till it plugs my fuel filter."

"Sounds like an electrical or

"Sounds like an electrical or chemical problem. Electrolysis or acid are etching the tank. Virtually nothing is made from pure aluminum, mostly of various alloys. Some of these are extremely resistant to corrosion. Your tank will probably need replacing due to possible pin holes forming inside."

I don't know why the surve

I don't know why the surveyor is calling blebs or blind pockets containing water "crevice corrosion". Crevice corrosion occurs sometimes when aluminum is stressed and develops a tiny crack in the metal. This corrosion is caused by minute electrical currents developing across the crevice. It has little to do with fuel tanks except where flexing causes stress points and subsequent tiny crevices subject to corrosion. The corrosion the surveyor is referring to is the type that is most commonly seen in wet joints with dissimilar metals and especially under a coat of paint.

Back