Logo

fuel tank

root1963

I took my 1976 85 eninrude two lake two day and took off from dock real good then it fell on its face. i put a new fuel tank and new line on it. from wallmart.the ball suxs close how do i fix this.

It sounds like the tank is not venting. Open up the cap and see if the bulb works ok. If it does, then check out the tank venting.

Generally, the bulbs from Walmart only last a short time.

Mike

on these new tanks the vent sapost two be automatic it dont have a screw two open i put a inline filter in it ill get a in line vent and try that i thank evrybody.

on some of the new tanks the vent dont work well enough...you have to crack the fill cap...if its a flat 6 gallon tank with the handle on one end if you look close you can see the tank trying to suck in and it will expand when you crack the cap..only slightly but you can see it...i just came off a 4 day trip and the boat ran fine at 4k rpm but my fishing partner noticed the tank sucking in slightly....its an epa thing i guess..the other tank dont even do that well..the bulb will pump hard but will go flat running...both these tanks have vent openings in top of the cap and are turned all the way but they still fail...
agree with the dude on walmart bulbs not being the best...i also noticed walmart is too high on price on their 6 gallon tanks...my merc dealer got me one from his vendor for 50 bucks...the 2nd i got from west marine that was still cheaper than walmart...( i had some unused stuff from west to return so used a credit there)...both brand name tanks...

make sure you are pushing the fuel line connectors on enough to clip into the little groove om the pin on both the motor and the tank...there are little spring loaded clips that go into the groove...you should see them go into the groove..if you can pull the hose and they come loose they are not secure..you can pump the bulb and the carbs will fill normal with a hard bulb...but the carbs will run low with speed an/or a load..

Back