Logo

Fuel Tank/Fuel Gauges

willow

Regular Contributor
I have two 100 USGal Fuel Tanks. Each is 24 inches deep

The original fuel gauges never seemed to give accurate readings (Boat is 24 yrs old). I took the old floats etc. out of each tank, installed the new "floats on a stick", reconnected the wires and installed new fuel gauges up at the helm.

Neither gauge is giving accurate readings. I was told by a mechanic that the slides on the float in the tank have to be matched up with the new gauges and that would require taking out both float systems and setting them up with each fuel tank gauge.

Is that correct info ???

Thanks

I thought your were selling your boat???

Not sure what you are referring to as "slides on the float". I can't say I've ever seen a sender unit that could be calibrated. Can't say I've ever met anybody that was 'happy' with the 'accuracy' of their fuel gauges either. Unless you motor at a constant RPM on flat water, I doubt the gauge will ever get to the point of being accurate.

The sender units are nothing more than variable resistors driving the fuel gauge, based on the 'elevation of the float. With boat movement, the fuel in the tank usually starts sloshing around (even with baffles) and the float reacts to that movement....unless you an integrator circuit of some kind, the needle reflects the activity inside of the tank...

Mark..Yes, selling the boat ...I will send you a PM
kimcrwbr1...I have gauges on the bridge and at the lower helm
I will try the "short" issue very soon...

Canada Day here on 01 July...not much getting done.;)

You Need the dual station sender if you adjust the float so it is close to the bottom of the tank it should be fine. Moeller have the senders that you can adjust the float height just measure from the top of the tank to the bottom and cut the float rod about 1/2 short of that that way when the guage reads empty you still have some in reserve. You have the round mounting flange correct?

You Need the dual station sender if you adjust the float so it is close to the bottom of the tank it should be fine. Moeller have the senders that you can adjust the float height just measure from the top of the tank to the bottom and cut the float rod about 1/2 short of that that way when the guage reads empty you still have some in reserve. you have the round mounting flange correctY?

That is correct....will let everyone know what I find when I go back to the boat next week.. Thanks for the input.

MAKOMARK

For some reason I can't seem to get a PM to you. They don't show up in my SENT box even though I have sent two to you in the past 3 or 4 days. If you are willing, could you PM me with an email address and I will send you an email back with the explanation about selling the boat.

Back