Logo

fuel pump test

to test my fuel pump could I just connect some pipe to the two outlets, turn her over and see if fuel emrges from the pipes - (obviously just a few turns of the engine for safety) - seems a lot easier than running and squeezing the bulb

A gage works better (but they're hard to find in the 0 to 15 psi range). PRESSURE, not flow, is what you're looking for.

Jeff

PS: The hand squeezed bulb will deliver 15 psi and more, where the fuel pump makes only about 4 to 6 psi max. That's why you can pump up enough pressure to cause the carb to flood, but then it's okay when the motor's running.

thanks for the info but would a couple of tubes connected to each of the two pump outlets show the pump to be pumping if I kick the engine over a couple of times? (if fuel comes out) - I just need to know whether the pump works since my engine does not run well at idle after it was fitted (it coughs, sometimes enough to make it cut out - also it stalls when the throttle is opened

Turn the screws all the way in until lightly seated. Back them back out 1 1/2 turns. From there you should be able to get your adjustment tuned in. CW forleaner, CCW for richer

can someone help me please I have a 1984 =mariner 90hpin line 6 I've rebuilt fuel the carbs and it wouldn't pump fuel, so I ordered the fuel pump rebuild kit did them still no fuel 9s pumping I did a fuel pressure test it showed it was 90 psi so io am at a dead end why is my fuel pump not pumping fuel, I have nothing I've taken the lines lose and checked everything I'm at a dead end wife's going to divorce me hehehe

Back