Logo

Fuel Pump Safety Switch

mattfaris

Here is my issue. Replaced a 1996 7.4/454 block with a new GM 454. Old wiring harness had just one wire coming from oil pressure sender (above engine coupler-Bravo 2) and had a mechanical fuel pump above water pump. New block came with electric fuel pump and has a 3-post fuel pump safety switch where the old oil pressure sender used to be. Old ignition Thunderbolt V, new ignition Delco HEI but it is a Mallory dist.
On the switch above coupler; one prong is ignition (to purple wire in harness) and I have power going to it. Middle prong is going to starter relay, and third prong is going to fuel pump with a pig-tail to oil pressure sender wire (light blue). I know the fuel pump works as it runs with direct power. The engine turns over, but fuel pump doesn't run.
When the ignition key/switch is in the on position my oil pressure guage is reading max, when I begin to start the engine,*the oil pressure guage*reads zero so I know something is messed up. The wiring sheets that came with the fuel pump said nothing about the oil pressure sending wire. I know the switch is there to shut the fuel pump down with no engine oil pressure. Any advice or ideas? Should I just go back to the old one wire sender and the mechanical fuel pump?
Thanks, Matt
1996 Bayliner 2858

ign feed to the normally open connector, starter solenoid R lug to the normally closed lug, common lug to fuel pump , other side of fuel pump to ground. nothing on this switch goes to the oil pressure sender

Thanks Boat Docotor. I found some literature/shematics from pump manufacturer that explain my issue. They reccomend using a "T" connector where the fuel pump safety is now on the engine, that way I can have switch and my O.E. oil pressure sensor from my old wiring harness.
Thanks, Matt

Common of switch goes to pump.
Normally Closed on switch (closed to common w/ no oil pressure) goes to start circuit power supply.
Normally Open on switch (closed to common w/ oil pressure) goes to normal run circuit power supply

Back