Logo

Fuel pump retrofit

BonePile

I purchased a 1963 Mercury 110 Merc 9.8 hp a little over a year ago. I had a buddy look it over last year and we were able to get it running but not to stay running. He believes the fuel pump needs some replacement parts that have become obsolete. My question is, can I retrofit a more modern fuel pump into this motor or even a different fuel pump from a different model year of the 110 Merc line? I'm not looking to spend a ton of money but willing to try a few things before I sell it off for parts.

try a compression test followed by a open air gap spark test before spending a cent on that engine, These tests cost nothing.

Some of those motors used--from the factory--a fuel pump that was insufficient to run the motor soon as it aged a bit. Merc put out a bulletin showing how to replace it with an aftermarket pump. Done dozens of them myself, using later Merc pumps and Mikunis and others.

You can find a small pump on-line and rig her up. The repair kits for the one you have (assuming it's the one I'm thinking of) is horrendously expensive and hell to change the check valves.

Jeff

Back