Logo

Fuel pump replacement.

dmonroeh

I have 2000 J 150 VL SSS with a fuel issue. The engine cranks and runs well until it seems to run out of fuel. I can use the manual bulb to pump fuel back into the engine and it will restart and run well for a little while only to die again.

Is there a way to definitively tell if the pump has gone bad?

Second question is whether or not the original fuel pump can be removed and replaced with an auxiliary fuel pump? (I mix the gas and do not use the oil pump so that shouldn't be a problem. All of that was removed by a mechanic years ago. Not sure what all was removed other than the oil reservoir and alarm)

Test run with a portable tank and hose.-----Take fuel pump apart if need be for inspection.----Look into vapor separating tank.-----Not much to them and might be a simple fix !!

As Racer suggested, include in your test tank, a different hose and primer bulb....try to keep the lifting level similar to your on-board tank....why? A weak fuel pump may work acceptably, if is is lifting the fuel a lesser distance.

So I finally got a chance to make it to the river for testing with the new fuel line and gas can/tank. Ran about two gallons through the engine with mixed results. Full and half throttle seem to work ok. At lower speeds the pump seemed to pull an insufficient amount of fuel with the engine finally shutting down until I refilled it with the hand primer. It would crank back up after being filled but then run out again unless I ran it at higher speeds. I bought the boat used and have always had this problem. The previous owner probably never ran into the problem as they used the boat for striper fishing. The big motor got them where they were going and then they swapped over to the trolling motor.

Please let me know your thoughts. Is the 150hp motor just not designed to run at lower speeds or could the pump be working at higher speeds and not the lower end. I have found some after market replacement pumps for around $200 I just hate to spend the money and still have the same problem.

Any big outboard will idle and troll all day long !!----Used to troll with a 235 HP V-6 hour after hour.----No issues.

I use a different approach.-----I would take the simple VRO pump apart to inspect it.----Perhaps there is not much wrong with it.-----Be a shame to install a new pump only to find that motor still will not idle for long.

Could be the vapor pump ,float in VS or leaking top on VS or the VRO has a problem. Need to work backwards from VS to VRO troubleshooting.

So I took a couple of things apart today and tried to post photos but the system said my entry was too large so hopefully these links will work. The first one is to a parts list or my fuel system. Are items 37 & 38 what you guys are referring to as the vapor separator?

The second one is to a google folder containing photos of the vapor diaphragm, the fuel filter retention ring, the fuel pump diaphragm, and the oil input barb. It looks like the first three need replacing my question about the oil input is whether or not it needs to be plugged since it it no longer in use.

Let me know if the links work and whether or not you think this could be the source of my problems.

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/j...Johnson&section=Fuel+Bracket+&+Components

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1pw6wVqf5O3ntmQCusftFp7TIiIBzV5oe?usp=sharing

Looks like the air motor diaphragm needs to be replaced.------Not a hard to find item in my opinion.----Vapour pump repair kit needed.----New filter needed.-----All looks like an easy fix.-----I certainly would not need to buy a new VRO pump !!

Ordered parts today. All in about $100 primarily because of the $70 OEM air motor diaphragm. I looked at some kits on Amazon but the reviews advised against the after market parts from China. Marineengine was the only place I could find the diaphragm by itself. I will keep you guys posted on my progress. Thanks for the help!

Phase one completed. Was pleasantly surprised that it even cranked after all of the tinkering but it did. Took it down to the river for a test run on the temporary tank and it did great! this engine has never been able to run for very long on slow speeds but it crawled along perfectly today. Next step is to hook it back up to the fuel tank and make sure it still works.

Much thanks for all of the help!

I will update the post after the next test.

Glad you got it figured out. I assume the manual bulb never got firm when you were pumping it? Had this happen on another engine and could hear the fuel spraying through the diaphragm when pumping.

Back