Logo

Fuel Pump Help

dwjohnso

2001 Tracker 60 hp, 3 cyl., Having trouble with running out of gas. Bubble goes flat each time. Pump it back up, boat cranks and runs great a short while then same thing. I checked for loose or leaking hoses and also did the tight squeezed bulb test looking for leaking gas but found nothing yet.
Have not checked with the clear line for bubbles yet. I am somewhat suspecting fuel pump, as i rebuilt it couple years back and remember having some trouble with the tiny wafer things that push thru the center?? (memory is foggy)
Thought I read somewhere about checking the vacuum on the crankcase line and maybe checking actual fuel pressure on the carb line. Is this possible and can someone direct with me some instructions and values to look for? Any other tips or ideas? Thanks
I do remember having to replace a fuel pump on my older 35 Johnson, but that one was flooding and spreading a sheen of gas on top of water really bad. When I got it off in my hand, as I squeezed the bubble, it would flow gas out the hole in back I believe. Thanks for any help

Update: If i pump up bubble tight "after" i crank up and put in forward gear, and then run near full throttle, boat never stalls ...

When the bulb goes flat the fuel pump is working very well.----This means that you have a blockage in the system from the bulb to the fuel pick-up inside the tank.----Or there is a blockage in the tank vent.

If you've been using ethanol and the hose is like 10 years old, time to replace it. Also replace your engine fuel filter...and while you are at it, your engine internal fuel lines.....BTDT Cut your old fuel filter open and you can see why the fuel pump sucks the bulb flat...the problem is as racer described, but remnants can make their way to the filter and you can see your problem.

A blockage but the bulb can push or suck past it/ Is that because of the greater pressure generated by hand pumping bulb over the draw available from the fuel pump itself
?
I did recently replace the anti-drain back valve nipple down at the tank, could I have used the wrong one with too much restriction? I also replaced the hoses and bulb about 2 years ago, although I did use plain Black fuel line from NAPA
Can I simply take bulb off and blow thru hoses to find blockage?

Ok great news guys, thanks to the advice on here I did find one fuel hose collapsed on the inside. It was even one of the Mercury gray or silver hoses that I didn't change before. I thought that was a factory "Ethanol' hose. Anyway, found it and changed it out, all seems to be good now. Thanks so so much!

Ok great news guys, thanks to the advice on here I did find one fuel hose collapsed on the inside. It was even one of the Mercury gray or silver hoses that I didn't change before. I thought that was a factory "Ethanol' hose. Anyway, found it and changed it out, all seems to be good now. Thanks so so much!

My gut feel about that OEM grey hose was that it appears to be silicon based material and should resist fuels readily. Not so!!!!! BTDT

Back