Logo

Fuel pump failed again

Knot Today

On 4th failed pump in 2 years. I have SB 350 i put in new 2 years ago (Sundancer 260). At that time put new Sierra pump in (i know, i know) which failed, lost pressure. Retailer would not refund, but warrantied pump with a new one. Put old (known good) pump in while waiting for warranty, got about 10 hrs out of that, lost pressure. Put warranty pump in. This spring doing some testing with ignition and was getting 12psi @ 4000rpm. Fuel was spraying out of venturi as soon as secondary opened. So, picked up an OEM Mercruiser pump from stealership. That worked good for 14hrs. Lost pressure again! 3psi at idle now. Starves about 2300rpm.

So, i went through the whole system. Pulled fuel filter; poured into glass jar, clean, no water. Put new filter on, same pressure. Pre-sediment filter has just a little bit of specs, this is from about 50hrs of use, view that as normal. Pulled tank sender, inspected tank, clean as a whistle. Pickup tube clean and clear. Vent is clear. Tank has never been to the varnish point, no history of that. 3/8" Fuel lines are new. Steel line from filter to carb w/ inline pressure sender.

Been looking through history here about pumps failing. was thinking electric? but that has it's own issues and modifications. Holley mechanical pump? Go to Summit racing and the reviews state that some of their pumps fail and are from china. Stealership states they will get me new pump, whenever it comes in...Or they will return my money. I don't know which direction to go. The rate of failure on pumps here and other confirmed places is staggering. Is there not a pump manufacturer out there that can produce a long lasting pump? Any suggestions before i roll the dice again?

Back