Logo

Fuel problems

I bought a boat with a 1975 25 HP short shaft. I took it out last year for a test run and the motor seemed pretty strong. It really struggled to idle and the low speed mixture knob didnt seem to do anything. I also noticed that it seemed ti be running rich. The spark plugs were pretty dark after a short time and the was a pretty good ring of fuel in the water. At the end of the season I decided to rebuild the carburetor and now it seems worse. I cant keep it running and it even sputters when I open the throttle. There seems to be quite a bit of fuel in the water. Did I miss something putting the carb back together......i also havent messed with the fuel pump.

Could be you need to " mess " with the fuel pump.------A ruptured diaphragm will leak a lot of fuel through the motor.----A $10 fix for a new diaphragm if it is bad.

Probably not. The float is parallel to the carb body when you invert the carb. Pretty hard to mess that up. As Racer suggests, the fuel pump will allow unmetered fuel into one cylinder and more of notice when idling and low speed. This, as explained, is an easy fix.

Back